Out Of Curiosity.....

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: Out Of Curiosity.....

Postby Jamey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:25 am

I haven't had very much time lately to work on stuff for Uru due to my schoolwork, but I have been playing a few other games during my freetime. I'm a big fan of the Star Wars: KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic) games. I've been considering taking up a small hobby of learning how the game engines for KOTOR & KOTOR II work, and making a few mods/texture packs for them. I also play Portal 2, Half-Life 2, Garry's Mod, Audiosurf, the "Silent Hill" franchise, and a few others out there. Thinking about doing mods and stuff for those games too, but for now, I'm gonna try out my skills on KOTOR first. :D
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby andylegate » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:49 am

Some of you have mentioned Garry's Mod, my son Zack plays that, and in fact spent days and days telling me all about it. :lol:
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby tachzusamm » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:15 am

Because I'm a fan of adventures, I played a lot of them. Too many to list them all here, but those which impressed me much were:

1. Of course all of the Cyan ones (Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages).
Myst was shipped with my old Mac Performa, together with "The Daedalus Encounter", a game which combined real actors (e.g. "Relic Hunter" Tia Carrere) and 3D environment.

2. Blade Runner by Westwood Studios.
Those 3 games (Myst, Daedalus Encounter and Blade Runner) made me love adventures and puzzles.

3. Of course "The Longest Journey" and the sequel "Dreamfall" from Ragnar Tørnquist.
Really great story, and the longest gameplay I ever had.

4. Venetica. This was a real surprise for me, very nice graphics and dialogues.

5. Syberia I & II, Schizm, Sentinel, The Moment of Silence, Keepsake, Overclocked, Some of the Sherlock Holmes titles, and various other titles.
And of course Portal I - currently I'm trying my luck in Portal II.
Oh, I forgot Mass Effect II.

Online games:
I played Perfect World for a while (when MOUL closed), and AION (recently).
A lot of grinding, sure, but to say it with Chacal's words:
Chacal wrote:I am fascinated by 3D worlds. I can spend hours just wandering around. Modern games have incredibly realistic graphics.

To be honest, I was not much interested in leveling, as my mates did in the dungeons, but instead I mostly wandered around, enjoying the graphics, and taking screenshots and videos.

(nice thread :) )

EDIT:
Wamduskasapa wrote:Journeyman Project - Buried in Time
Journeyman Project - Legacy of Time
Timelapse

Never heard of those titels. But sounds interesting... I love time travel stories. If it's that what I guess.
tachzusamm

Postby Paradox » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:53 am

tachzusamm wrote:EDIT:
Wamduskasapa wrote:Journeyman Project - Buried in Time
Journeyman Project - Legacy of Time
Timelapse

Never heard of those titels. But sounds interesting... I love time travel stories. If it's that what I guess.

A demo of Legacy of Time was included in the Riven 5-CD set if I recall.
I actually played Legacy of Time, and then started Myst at the recommendation of my uncle, who said it was a similar puzzle-solving type of game.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the first two Journeyman Project games available anywhere :(
Paradox

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:30 pm

@ Paradox
Good Old Games has Journeyman Project 2 - Buried in Time for Win XP thru Win 7
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/journeyman_project_2
all 3 Journeyman Project games may be found on Amazon (but only for Win 95 thru Win XP). Hopefully it will soon be out for Vista and up
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Chacal » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:40 pm

I have purchased Syberia 1 and 2 on GOG, I'm waiting for some free time to play them. I remember the demo of Journeyman project on the Riven disc, I might get them too.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby andylegate » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:56 pm

For those of you that like horror themed games, you might want to try this one here:

http://www.amnesiagame.com/#main

It's something that has piqued my interest. My son in law played it and his only advice was: Don't play this with head phones on if your cats suddenly jump on you!
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Chuckles58 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:06 pm

I too have looked for other games to play in the same genre as the Myst/Riven/Etc/Uru games.

I found Timelapse to be my favorite non-Myst adventure game. Every so often you can see it show up on EBay for a reasonable price.

I also enjoyed the Journeyman Project trilogy, which were made by Presto Studios, which made Myst III Exile:
Journeyman Project Turbo
Journeyman Project: Buried In Time
Journeyman Project: Legacy of Time

I encourage you to find these on EBay as well, as they were quite clever and amusing games.

The game I spend absolutely too much time on is Real Life, but it pays well. ;)
Image<----Click for info
Chuckles58

Postby ZURI » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Hmm, let's see.

My oldie favorite is C&C Generals Zero Hour - especially with the Raptor Mod. Then Half LIfe 2, F.E.A.R. (one of the best all-around shooters out there.... and really creepy too), Fallout 3 New Vegas, Ground Control 2 (arguably one of the best tactical games ever made, IMO. If you like battle/strategy games, definately check it out).

Overall, the game I'm most likely to fire up at a moment's notice is good ole' Freecell! :D
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Postby ametist » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:51 am

Geez, now I feel old again but I have to admit I just replayed ZORK -Grand Inquisitor :D , ZORK forever!!

And like some of you I like to replay Syberia, Aura, Longest Journey, Dreamfall - just adventures, no shooting here 8-) so for me URU is the only MMO I like. I've had to play WoW because my grandkids do and I want to know what they do all the time online (they also like CS which I hate,brrrr....the latest patch for CS is the killing of Usama...) - I like the graphics and the worlds in WoW, very beatiful places there.

@Wamduskasapa - thanks for sharing parts of your life; I especially like that blanket of yours! :)

@ Zuri -LTNS! /me waves
ametist

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion