Forum button issue

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Forum button issue

Postby diafero » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:56 am

Some of the buttons in this forum (Create new topic, Post a Reply) are somehow broken: On top of the actual image, the textual description of the button is rendered as white text. When the button is hovered, it is clearly visible as the colour changes to red.
Comparing the CSS of the buttons in this forum with those using a "standard" phpBB theme showed that the markup is something like that
<a href="link to do the action><span></span>alt text</a>
Where usually, the span has the size of the link and a background image applied to it that is rendered on top of the text, so it is invisible for browser, but "displayed" by screen readers or other alternative viewers (or if the button image is unavailable). However, here at the GoW, someone changed the span to be completely hidden and moved the background image to the link, so the text will naturally be shown on top of it, resulting in the described effect.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Re: Forum button issue

Postby Tomala » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:54 am

You're right. That is weird...

Maybe if we get a new Hello Kitty button...
Tomala

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:47 am

Yeah, it's been doing that as long as I can remember. Never figured it was enough of a problem to spend any time thinking about though >_>
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:11 am

Just in case it's of any help I've had the same results with IE7, IE8, Firefox, Chrome and Opera Browsers
J'Kla

Postby Paradox » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:30 am

It wasn't an issue when the theme was originally designed (as far as I recall), but started showing up after a phpBB update and some new theme stuff was merged in.
I've been meaning to look into what causes it at some point, but it hasn't bothered me enough to make it a priority. :P
Paradox

Postby Tomala » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Paradox wrote:It wasn't an issue when the theme was originally designed (as far as I recall), but started showing up after a phpBB update and some new theme stuff was merged in.
I've been meaning to look into what causes it at some point, but it hasn't bothered me enough to make it a priority. :P

Slacker...
Tomala

Return to Off-Topic Discussion