Er'cana Harvester

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Er'cana Harvester

Postby Sirius » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:56 am

Well, who never dreamt of cutting the plants in Er'cana with the Harvester ?
I believe a lot of people would like to. There are some very interesting theories about how it would have been done on MYSTLore.

So, here is something very simple, that will repair the left lever of the Harvester and of course the system it runs.
That's strange I couldn't found anything about that here. If someone already found it, tell me.

So, you have two solutions. Either:
- link to Er'cana and type "/setsdl ercaHrvstrWingsOk 1", and use the lever. Easy, isn't it ?
- open Ercana.sdl in the SDL folder of Uru with PlasmaShop and change
Code: Select all
VAR BOOL    ercaHrvstrWingsOk[1]   DEFAULT=0 DISPLAYOPTION=red
to
Code: Select all
VAR BOOL    ercaHrvstrWingsOk[1]   DEFAULT=1 DISPLAYOPTION=red

Nothing really fancy, but I had quite some fun with it.
Show Spoiler

And the reasons it was never implemented becomes obvious after moving the harvester. Quite bad, it would have been so fun !

EDIT: corrected an error in the code.
Sirius

Re: Er'cana Harvester

Postby diafero » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:32 am

Interesting! Does this refer to POTS or MOUL?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:58 am

Do you mean the fix or the theories ?
Well, MOULa's code didn't change, and the wings anim are still there, so it works on both PotS and MOUL, as long as you can set the SDL for it.

For the theories, I guess it was planned to do it this way since they created Er'cana (even through there is not way to prove it).
Maybe Er'cana was released somehow "unfinished" in PotS, since it was planned to release it online, and as Cyan had to close MOUL...
It also seems in the Python file for the harvester that it wasn't working correctly and was to be fixed.

It would be interesting to fix Er'cana, but that would mean a lot of work to make sure the wings won't go through the canyon, edit the plant mesh to cut it, unload the harvester car at the silo...
Sirius

Postby Corvus » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:23 am

Thank you for this information. It's really fun to play around with this.
"To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind."

-Wallace Stevens-
Corvus

Postby Chacal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Sirius wrote:Well, who never dreamt of cutting the plants in Er'cana with the Harvester ?

I never did, but harvesting player heads sounds good.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Sirius » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:13 am

:shock:

That... might be another reason for Cyan to keep this lever locked.

:lol:
Sirius

Postby janaba » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:59 am

I am excited to find this topic here, esp. as Filtik from the TOC MOUL Shard has activated
my Er'cana harvester wings last week ... I couldn't activate them with PlasmaShop in my
offline Drizzle version though, Sirius ... :P

Some pictures from the TOC MOUL Shard ... You will see that the wings are not going through
the canyon except in front of the factory where they just partially vanish in the walls ... :)

After pulling the lever you have to click very quickly in front of you to make the camera turn around
so that you can see yourself and the moving wings going up or down ... :D
janaba

Postby janaba » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Sirius and all, I got it, I've changed the 'VAR BOOL ercaHrvstrWingsOk[1] DEFAULT=1 DISPLAYOPTION=red' again,
but this time in the right place haha ... I did it before in the upper first version and when I looked through it again
I remembered and placed the 1 in the last version et voila ... haha ... :D

This is how it looks like when the harvester moves through one of the very few plants, the others it doesn't touch
janaba

Postby Deledrius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Awesome! Nice to see that thing working.

So, I don't get it though... it slices down the plants, right? It doesn't look like there's any way for it to collect them, and there's no other way to get the plants to the Plant that we can see... How was this used by the D'ni? Did they make the bahro link the harvest plants around?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby janaba » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Valid questions, Deledrius ... I just googled for it and found a very nice, extensive and though hypothetical yet reasonable
sounding description of the whole process of pellet production as it could have been processed back then at MYSTlore ... Enjoy ... :P
janaba

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion