MYST ME Quicktime Trouble

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

MYST ME Quicktime Trouble

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've posted here, and I realize this isn't exactly a MYST troubleshooting site, but I thought if anyone could help me it's you guys. I told a friend of mine about the MYST series, and she decided to give it a try. The plan was for her to come to my house and check it out. Now, I just got my current computer last year. It's Windows 7 64 bit. I had not bothered to install MYST ME or RIVEN until now. When I tried to play the game, it just started out after the beginning monologue, and the screen was black except the cursor. I could hear the game fine, and even navigate in the "dark", but I could never see anything.

So I Googled the problem, and there was something about installing QuickTime 6.3, and then saving certain files, and then overwriting them in Quicktime 7. I installed Quicktime 6.3, and tried the game again, and the visuals worked! But the beginning cinematic was still nowhere to be found. On top of that, NONE of the videos work. No island flyby, no bookshelves opening, not even Sirrus and Achenar's speeches. I installed Riven, and the exact same problem happens. Atrus's whole beginning monologue is gone, and even Cho doesn't show up! Does anyone know what the problem is? I run it in Windows 98 comparability mode, but I don't think any of that is the problem. Any help would be most appreciated. If I get this to work, there's a good chance my friend will be obsessed with MYST. (She's already fascinated from what she's seen of screenshots and storyline.)
Justintime9

Re: MYST ME Quicktime Trouble

Postby Wamduskasapa » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:05 pm

With windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, you need to set the compatability to Windows XP For Myst, MYST ME, Real MYST, Riven and Exile. Just right click your shortcut. In the Box that opens there will be a Tab that is labled Compatability. In the little square marked Compatability Mode check the square marked run this program in compatability mode for and make your choice..
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:40 pm

I just tried that, and it won't let me choose compatibility for anything other than Windows 98/ME or Windows 95. I even tried checking all the boxes in the compatability tab, and it didn't solve the problem. I assume it has something to do with QuickTime because it's the videos in the game that don't work. Atrus doesn't even talk in Dunny. He's just frozen there. At least with Quicktime 6.3 I can actually SEE the game, but there's no point if I can't watch the videos. :P
Justintime9

Postby semplerfi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:32 pm

What version of Win7 are you using?

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
semplerfi

Return to Off-Topic Discussion