Need a Vacation From Age Creation

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Need a Vacation From Age Creation

Postby Karkadann » Mon May 14, 2012 1:24 pm

OMG what a ****** nightmare, my hard drive was die-ing (it was going clickity click click I was told that means it keeps going back to zero cuz it couldn't find what it was looking for) I managed to get a new drive (in spite of the hard-drive shortage) BUT I had to load have it loaded from scratch, which would not normally be a problem (a bit expensive) but the old drive was so fried, a lot of the stuff I copied has been corrupted. Everything else loading up on the new drive just fine until I started to Open up some of the Max files I was working on. Since some of the maps had been corrupted and I have to re-texture them all except for the chess age, and its all just to much for me to deal with write now.
Im hopping I can hook up the old drive to a Usb port and maybe.................recover some of what got forked up when I copied them but I need to find an interface to go from my Drive to the port.

Any way all in good time, I'll be stopping by on occasion to see whats going on but other then that.................. Well I guess I could use the opportunity my to get back into the Live version, I seem to do my best work when I isolate Since I wont be working on Max I guess I should stop Isolating so much.

See you in the Cavern

and ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DRIVE
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Re: Need a Vacation From Age Creation

Postby Wamduskasapa » Mon May 14, 2012 1:46 pm

I use JDR Computer Products for my source for External Hard Drives and Containers. Currently I am running 2 ea (USB 3) 2 TB Backup drives and a 6 TB RAID 6 Enclosure.

My Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black SATA Hard Drives were obtained on eBay.
My Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black Hard Drives were also obtained on eBay.
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Chuckles58 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:57 pm

That's bad news, Karkadann! As they say, it's not IF, it's WHEN ... that your hard drive will crash.

I've been using a 750GB WD passport for a year or two as a mobile backup of my home and work data, then when it began to show its age, I replaced it with a spiffy 1TB passport that does the job nicely. With over 9,000 digital songs, 11 years of digital photos and lots of other files I'd hate to lose, I have been a big believer in rendundant backing up and keeping a backup at the office for good measure.
Image<----Click for info
Chuckles58

Postby janaba » Tue May 15, 2012 2:54 am

Ohhh, Karkadann ... I believe most of us know what you're going through, what a nightmarish occurrence
this might be, as you see above they're all very well-equipped though there'll never be a perfect solution
and security measure lol ... Sometimes we just have to let it all go and move on knowing that everything
happens for a reason esp. our so called 'mistakes', there are no mistakes, only choices and experiences
to learn from with the purpose of progression and expansion ... :)

I can tell you that I was quite stunned when some years ago a very powerful lightning stroke right past
our house and thus destroyed my computer, yes, also the electricity supply collapsed and the next day
when everything turned to normal everything was okay but my computer, it was dead lol ...
That lightning was so strong I felt its vibration and power right through my heart ... I don't want and
need to tell the whole following story right now lol, just that even this happening proved to be
'a great thing' in the end ... :D

Karkadann, nevertheless I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to be able to retrieve and restore as much
as possible of your valuable data, the age files and textures etc. and everything that is precious to you ...
Please, try to keep your cool and serenity for the sake of your precious heart and mind and for the
clarity needed to deliver all the great and brilliant ideas and the confidence and inspiration to move
on cheerfully and victoriously ... :P
janaba

Postby matthornb » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:37 am

Ouch, I had the same situation several years ago, losing a hard drive - and it was a painful learning experience.

I had a bunch of stuff - a D'ni board game (Poktet) and a bunch of pottery and objects I was making for SubRes... those were all lost, as was a lot of my data for "D'ni Temple Area Two", and some other things like a few dozen video clips for "Troop 4 TV"* (video about a local scout troop I volunteer with, and it was supposed to be a 21-24 minute video but I lost a lot of the scenes when the HD stopped working.)

I now have backups of everything so that won't happen again, but yeah, a lot of time was lost, a lot of valuable stuff. I too took a vacation from age creation, for a good while.

And I totally get the frustration that comes with that, and not wanting to start over again from scratch on things you already did once.

Whenever you're ready to come back to age creation though, I would like to assist you in your work. I am a fairly decent 3d artist an I'd be interested in assisting with Relativity if there's still any way to do so.

I sent you a PM on MystOnline forums, I basically said that I'd be interested in working on some age graphics, if you're up for it... maybe we could work together as a team, with you handling code, and me working on graphics.

This is up to you though, you might not want to face this right now. Maybe later?
matthornb

Postby Karkadann » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 am

just responded, and it sounds interesting most of the coding that I am familiar with can be found on my ages plus a few other trick I have been sitting on.
although I am Curios as to what kind of coding you needed
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby Karkadann » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php

having issues with the MOULa forums Email again Matthomb
So I sent it threw the GoW forums

In addition I posted a thread with the problem on the MOUL forums and it seems to have vanished, although the issue seems to have been fixed
Karkadann

Return to Off-Topic Discussion