XP to Win 7

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

XP to Win 7

Postby Darien » Wed May 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Since my PC was seven years old, I decided to buy a new one (Picked it up today! :D ). On my old XP machine I was running all of my Myst games from an external hard drive. I've attached this drive to my new PC running Windows 7 and tried running Uru from it without re-installing it through Windows 7. It works but with problems. It's only letting me run in 800x600 and it gives me the message, "This program might not be installed correctly." Should I attempt to use the re-install option that pops up with this message or should I simply re-install from scratch. I ask because I currently have 14 installations of Uru on this external drive including various shards and custom offline installations. :lol: I really don't want to try to re-create all of these. Is there a way to "fix" all 14 without starting over?
Darien

Re: XP to Win 7

Postby Karkadann » Wed May 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Would it be possible to have the old XP computer dedicated to Uru and the Myst Saga, and everything else on the new one?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Thu May 17, 2012 2:30 am

It's been several years since I actually installed Uru the last time. I just keep copying the installation folder around (and got a blank unmodified one for new installations), and these folders lived on three operating systems so far (WinXP, Win7, Linux... if you count different distributions, it's even more ;-) ). So, Uru should wrok from the external hard drive without further installation - and if it does not, it's probably something else that's broken.
On my Win7 installation, Uru is having problems since I installed IE 9. I had to enable compatibility mode and set it to "Windows 7" (yeah, sounds crazy, never mind^^) to make it work.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Thu May 17, 2012 4:03 am

Darien wrote:It's only letting me run in 800x600
I have the same issue too, but I also have 1024x768. I'm not a Windows expert, but I suspect Windows 7 somehow tells UruSetup the other resolutions are not supported because they are wider than your current screen resolution (which is better at least in windowed mod in my opinion, because if you take a KI-shot in Uru and if the Uru window isn't entirely in your screen, it will crash. That's what happens to me when setting the resolution to1024x768, since I can't drag the window up enough to make sure the whole Uru window is displayed).
You could, however, hack the settings files to tell Uru to run with another resolution (a bit tricky, but it allows you to set any crazy resolution, as long as its ratio is 4/3 (if not, Uru will be streched))

Darien wrote:it gives me the message, "This program might not be installed correctly."
Welcome to Windows 7 :P It seems indeed related to the fact that you use Uru while it hasn't been installed on your computer.
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu May 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Sirius wrote:
Darien wrote:it gives me the message, "This program might not be installed correctly."
Welcome to Windows 7 :P It seems indeed related to the fact that you use Uru while it hasn't been installed on your computer.

UruSetup.exe is treated as an installer because of the "setup" string in the program name. When Windows detects that nothing has been installed, it complains. Compatibility with legacy programs = :(
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Darien » Thu May 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Karkadann wrote:Would it be possible to have the old XP computer dedicated to Uru and the Myst Saga, and everything else on the new one?

The problem with this is my XP PC's hard drive is making the disturbing "click-click-click-click" noises that encourage me to run more frequent backups.

I was planning on having my new PC set up with an XP dual boot, but Microsoft's plans to discontinue support for XP convinced me cut ties with it. I guess I'll just try to puzzle it all out.

Tsar Hoikas wrote:UruSetup.exe is treated as an installer because of the "setup" string in the program name.

Should I rename UruSetup.exe? I seem to remember seeing this suggestion somewhere before. I have to admit that for the last several years I've ignored all the posts regarding Vista and 7.

One more thing, I've noticed that I couldn't turn on the EAX effects. Is this a common issue?

On a positive note, I'm finally able to see wavesets in fan ages. On my old PC I could only see them in a few ages.
Darien

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu May 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Personally I have found that with Vista and Win 7 that it is best to ignor UruSetup.exe and use only UruExplorer.exe
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Deledrius » Thu May 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Darien wrote:
Tsar Hoikas wrote:UruSetup.exe is treated as an installer because of the "setup" string in the program name.

Should I rename UruSetup.exe? I seem to remember seeing this suggestion somewhere before. I have to admit that for the last several years I've ignored all the posts regarding Vista and 7.

When Windows asks you "Did the install complete correctly?" or however it words it, just tell it yes. I could be wrong, but I believe that dismisses it successfully. It's just trying to outsmart a lot of old dumb programs and can't possibly get it right every time, sadly.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Fri May 18, 2012 12:55 am

I renamed UruSetup.exe to Uru.exe on all my systems. DI also contains an "Uru.exe", which is the recommended way to start it.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Fri May 18, 2012 1:42 am

Darien wrote:One more thing, I've noticed that I couldn't turn on the EAX effects. Is this a common issue?
I can't set them either. The EAX library Uru uses didn't work anymore since Vista. MO:ULa switched to the OpenAL lib for this reason, so MOUL should be fine (see this topic).
Sirius

Return to Off-Topic Discussion