Myst-Riven-like game underway

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: Myst-Riven-like game underway

Postby Wamduskasapa » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:23 pm

There is Game that has just started its Kickstart. It is mainly the effort of one individual. This individual (Ben Droste) is from Australia AND a very talented graphics artist. His company, 100 Stones Interactive was founded by himself, with the dream of forming his own games studio. He is a ten year veteran of the Australian Games Industry, where he worked as a Senior 3D Environment Artist and Level Designer with SEGA Studios Australia.

His game (The Eyes of Ara) is a modern evolution of the classic genre, built upon inspiration from the old classics like Myst, Riven and the Journeyman Project that focused upon exploration based puzzles and environmental storytelling. He is on Kickstart and has a page on Facebook

Adventuregamers dot com has posted an article about The Eyes of Ara.

He does have an You Tube page which currently contains 4 movies...

EDIT:

On other forums that I have placed this notice - It has been stated that the game is Flat and looks painted. If you look at the top of the MP4 Movie you will notice that these images are PRE-ALPHA. What currently exists is NOT even a Beta production IT IS an Alpha rough draft and does not represent the actual game.

https://youtu.be/F5kj9EZfsEE
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby janaba » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:29 am

When I first looked into this, Wam, I thought 'OMG, not another abandoned, haunted castle or manor, haunted by restless/revengeful/desperate ghosts, bewitched or enchanted entities, plants or creatures etc.', you get the picture lol ... this all very much reminded me of all those casual games or HOPA's around those themes, also the option for bonus chapters and collectibles etc. ... and of course, I'm not in for 'devious puzzles' etc. as he says lol, I've told you already, I believe, I'm not the real Myst/Riven geek, as for insane puzzle solving, lol ... :geek:

... but ... but, of course, I'm also no person to just dismiss anything based on first views and impressions or even preconceptions lol ... So, I've been looking into all of this more deeply, the trailer, the websites (main and Kickstarter etc.), the story and of course the person behind it, and I have to say, yes, this looks and feels much more different than my initial impression now ... besides that the environments and presented available interactions, 'partial puzzle pieces', those lovely flying 'mechanical creatures' etc. are of good quality, and it all feels like there'll be an interesting story unfolding and revealing itself in the course of the gameplay, the music is wonderful, inspiring and fitting too, and I definitely believe that this might appeal to many Myst/Riven fans in many respects ... :P

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a great success for this man and his future as a game developer ... Besides that he's already quite well-versed and experienced in doing just that, I just love to support (energetically) and see creative, imaginative minds being capable to make a living with what they love and are passionate about doing ... In that sense, it is great that that you've posted this here, Wam, and to you Ben resp. the '100 Stones Interactive' (game studio), many many blessings, my very best wishes and much much fun and further inspiration for you and all who support this ambitious project ... :)
janaba

Postby janaba » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:49 am

I'm adding this as another post as I'm pointing you to sth different, another Kickstarter project which started yesterday ... I've just seen it on the Cyan forums ... :P

It is called 'Quern - Undying Thoughts' by Zadbox Entertainment as they call themselves, four guys who have just newly created this 'company' as they intend to make a living from developing games from now on ... Ok, here's the link to the Kickstarter page ...

I have to say that this is the most Myst/Riven-like game I've ever seen ... if anyone would show me this and pretend it to be made by Cyan Worlds, I'd believe it ... Of course, those developers have been mightily inspired by the Myst games as they say ... So, I thought all or some of you here might like to know about this and have a look into it, in case you'd not stumble upon this by yourselves on Kickstarter or on the Cyan forums ... Enjoy ... :)
janaba

Postby Deledrius » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:27 am

Quern really looks like they "get it". Hopefully this will turn out to be true!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby janaba » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:03 pm

I just posted it on the MOUL forums and I'd like to express my excitement here too ... :P

Congratulations!!! to the developers of both games, 'The Eyes of Ara' as well as 'Quern - Undying Thoughts', for having been 'Greenlit' ... This is a wonderful success and inspiration for them and all the backers to keep and even increase the momentum and spread the word ... I know I'll go on keeping my fingers crossed ... Best of luck, guys ... :)
janaba

Postby janaba » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi, everyone, as some of you do not roam the Myst and/or Cyan forums very often or not at all, I thought I'd post another long awaited Myst-like game here, which has been released today by Prom361 resp. Denis Martin and a passionate developer team, plus translators for the translations into 'English, German and Italian' (as he is French, there's of course the French version too) and a wonderful in the community already well-known music composer (Piboc) ... :P

It is called 'RoonSehv - NeTerra', a first person puzzle game in the Myst world, created with UDK Unreal Engine 3 ... Here's the link to his post on the MOUL forums ... Here's the link to his Fb page, and another link to the Blog page ...

This game is happily provided for free for everybody to enjoy and indulge in ... Have fun, everyone, if you like ... :)
janaba

Postby Annabelle » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks for letting the GoW's community know janaba! :)

There's also a soundtrack for RoonSehv produced by Olivier (aka Piboc).

I already downloaded it. It's completely free and you can follow this link to have your own copy:

http://www.age-des-sons.com/
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Wamduskasapa » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 am

The Eyes of Ara is now within the final days of its Kickstarter! A new Puzzle-adventure game that was inspired by classics like Myst and Riven, with an emphasis on environmental storytelling. PLEASE - do not let this game languish within sight of the finish line. If you have Pledged - then contemplate raising that statement of belief in this artist by 1 Tier. If you haven't pledged then consider doing so. He is on Kickstart and has a page on Facebook.

There are several movies that show the scope and development of this worthwhile Adventure Game. But, Please remember that these are from a Game that is in it's Alpha Stage of development.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRQA3t ... KAND0canqQ
Wamduskasapa

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:24 pm

Well --- The Eyes Of Ara are going down - and according to Kicktrag this game is doomed, and unless it finds some supporters, it will fail.
Wamduskasapa

Postby dendwaler » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:22 am

Ok , I pledged the eyes of ara.

but i also discovered the following on kickstarter and also pledged it.

Again a fantastic looking myst like game:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255217702/quern-undying-thoughts?ref=nav_search

edit. Oh sorry , i just saw that janaba has noticed this far earlier then me, and already posted it.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion