Uru forum, and how to get into Age developping?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Uru forum, and how to get into Age developping?

Postby Drathen » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi fellow explorers,

Some could consider me new, some experienced...played Uru:ABM back in 2006, but only recently did i sart playing multiplayer.

I got a couple of questions for you:

1. I suscribed to the Uru live forums, but i have no post permissions at all...why?

2. I really like Uru, it is one of the game that has marked me the most, and i find it really sad that the game is slowly dying because Cyan doesnt release anything. Anybody could give me tips on how to get started with creating fan age and such? Id really like to contribute
Drathen

Re: Uru forum, and how to get into Age developping?

Postby Karkadann » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:50 pm

First you need to decide what program you are gonna use, most here are using blender, and a few of us are using 3D Studio Max. I believe their are more tutorials for Blender and most of the people here are more familiar with it.
With Max their are a lot of tutorials however as a result of most here being more familiar with Blender you need to be more patient when asking for help with Max
Both Blender and Max have their advantages and disadvantages, you hafta weigh them out and see which works best for you

After you decided which program to use their is a whole boat load of info on http://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Main_Page to get you started
Then let your imagination run wild

A for your first question I think you need to become a member of a user group or some something

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23952
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Re: Uru forum, and how to get into Age developping?

Postby Lyrositor » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:10 am

Hello Drathen!
As Karkadann explained, there are basically two ways to create content right now. Arguably the "best" one (we'll see why later) is 3ds Max; however, Max costs thousands of dollars if you're not a student, so it might be a bit inadequate if you're not a professional. If you code with this software, you'll have to install Cyan's (recently open-sourced) Max Plugin, the instructions for which can be found on the wiki.

Alternatively, you can use Blender, and here's where the situation gets a bit more complicated. There are basically two working plugins right now: the original PyPRP (used by most, but can only export Ages to old Uru and not MO:UL) and PyPRP2 (which is far from complete and only does extremely basic stuff; not interesting for most user cases). With a bit of work from somebody else, some of your PyPRP Ages CAN be converted, but this takes long amounts of time and may not always work 100% well. Only 3ds Max has full export right now.

There are other projects in development, but they are not actively developed, and so may take time to see the light of day.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Return to Off-Topic Discussion