A "real" Myst Linking Book

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

A "real" Myst Linking Book

Postby BahroFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 pm

http://www.riumplus.com/mystbook/
Pretty cool-looking, but to destroy a rare book in order to Write this?

And that price is absolutely EXHORBIANT!
I have freed only ONE Bahro.
BahroFan

Re: A "real" Myst Linking Book

Postby Sirius » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:50 am

Funny, sunday I was thinking "Hmmm, has Rium+ finished his MYST book yet ?" and went to his devianArt album.

I have to say that's impressive. I was expecting it to just display flyovers of Myst Ages, but a whole computer in it ! Wow !
It seems he made the "MYST" letters on the cover with gold paint too... That's awesome.

I recommend anyone who liked this to go check his album here.
He did a lot more, including a D'ni clock (with the D'ni time system, with ~30 hours per day, etc...). Really awesome.
Sirius

Postby janaba » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:38 am

Yes, Rium is an extremely awesome and insane (as he's describing himself) creative genius ... He even once won a prize for that insanity lol ... :P
janaba

Postby C.J.Herkeless » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:20 am

And if anyone hasn't seen it, he did do a Mysterium presentation with the book. Watch it here.
C.J.Herkeless

Postby RIUM+ » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:11 am

Hey there! This is mine (obviously :p )

For what it’s worth, the book I/Cyan used isn’t valuable at all. Not all old books are inherently valuable just because they’re old - old tax books are a good example. This one’s a cross between a reader’s digest & a gossip magazine and it’s printed on some of the cheapest paper available at the time. It’s a collection of their unsold copies, bound in what’s essentially off-cut binding materials. Its only rarity is related to just how unimportant it is - books like this are normally sold to interior designers by the metre, not individually by title. A near-match comes up for sale around once every year, with similar-looking other issues available with ease.

(If anyone else wants a close-near-match, I actually have a couple spare since I had to buy every near-match I could find to try & match it to Cyan’s. Not even the book I used is a 100% perfect match though, I haven’t seen a 100% exact match go up for sale in 6 years so I’m not even sure if one still exists on the planet.)

I’m not seriously trying to sell the book - that number’s actually there to stop the sales inquiries. Being a round D'ni number, it’s basically there to try & stop people who say “I want it, I will buy it from you, how much, I will give you $200 for it, be thankful that’s way more than it’s worth”... Which even with the price printed right there, that’s still happened something like 30 times x.x Realistically though, given the many hundreds of hours I put into it & minimum wage, it’s actually pretty close to my internal record keeping figures. If someone actually does want to pay that figure, then sure it’s theirs :p

Publicity on this thing has been crazy. The geeky media picked it up & ran with it, and even some of the more mainstream media (Sky News & The Smithsonian - yes really!). I’ve done at least ten interviews so far. After half a million combined views to the various places I uploaded it, it’s finally started to die down.. phew :p
"If you lined up all of the world's smokers end-to-end in a big line around the world, 75% of them would drown."
RIUM+

Postby Chacal » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:54 am

This, and the rest of your works, is just awesome.
/bow
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Return to Off-Topic Discussion