Gravity, Gahreesen and useless stuff

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Gravity, Gahreesen and useless stuff

Postby Sirius » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:14 am

Hi everyone,

I haven't been doing anything Uru-related for ages, mostly because messing up with Plasma is really time-consuming...

Well, for some reason, today I felt like having a walk in Gahreesen, Kemo and Tsogal...
... and I decided to tweak Gahreesen's subworld (I wanted to mess up with it for quite some time now).

You see, subworlds in Plasma had their own gravity vector and intensity... Which means you can have the avatar falling faster, but also in another direction than downwards ! (including left, upward, or whatever. I didn't really feel like falling upward, though).

So, I quickly patched the Gahreesen PRP. The modification can be found in the attached .zip below.
Extract "Gravity.uof", and import it in dat/Garrison_District_grsnExterior.prp with PrpShop, if you want to have a look.

With this small hack, you'll notice the gravity is really weak on the main building's bridges... Just stand on a bridge, and jump.
You might notice gravity is weak only if you do a standing-jump, it remains the same if you do a walk -or run- jump (isn't Plasma a wonderful not-logic game engine ? :) ).

Anyways, I thought it was fun, could be used in a Fan Age, for a fan or gravity field...

Then I decided to apply another small modification. I wanted to do so since I saw this picture from AndyLegate when he was converting Gahreesen to CryEngine.
Of course I can't get the same visual quality, but I thought spending 10sec changing some layer's flag wouldn't be such a waste of time. And the result is nice. Import "Alpha.uof" in dat/Garrison_District_grsnExterior.prp to see the modification ;)
Attachments
Gahreesen.zip
(463 Bytes) Downloaded 325 times
Sirius

Re: Gravity, Gahreesen and useless stuff

Postby diafero » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:38 am

That sounds like fun :D Do you have a video of the effect?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:19 am

Here.
The video is a bit jerky, I'm not sure why (the game was displaying fine while recording...)

I used different settings for this video, the avatar shifting is set to a higher value.
I had a slight issue with another version, because the gravity was too low... which means I panic-linked about 2 feet from the ground ! :lol:

The falling acceleration is by default close to -32 feet/s² (I guess that's 9.81 meters/s²). In this video it's of -3. Setting it to -1 is a bad idea...
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:39 pm

-32ft/s^2 is earth gravity.... the only thing that's actually easy to remember in US measurements :roll:
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Return to Off-Topic Discussion