Is anyone here in touch with those running MOUL?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Is anyone here in touch with those running MOUL?

Postby DreamBliss » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 am

I tried to start a forum account, but never received a confirmation email. There was a post in the forums that the signup server was down for an indeterminate time. I would like to play this game but can't create a character or get in touch with anyone working at MOUL (because I can't signup at the forums.) Hoping some of those folk are active here or the Open Uru forums.

I just want to say I would like to see things up and running again. I know MOUL is about dead, but I would like to finally play and beat Uru, perhaps get in touch with anyone else still playing. Please fix the forums and signup page as soon as you can, it would be greatly appreciated!

For everyone else I know this is off-topic for the site, but that's why it's here, in the Off-Topic Discussion!
:D
If the spark does not desire the tinder there is no flame.
DreamBliss

Re: Is anyone here in touch with those running MOUL?

Postby Lyrositor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:56 am

Hello DreamBliss.

Nobody here is in direct contact with Cyan, but e-mails can be sent to their support address. In the meantime, if you want to play MO:UL you can sign up on the Guild of Writer's Gehn Shard.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby Christopher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:19 am

Chogon wrote:[...]So, what that means for the short term is that new MO:ULagain accounts *cannot* be created.[...] I think we have a lead for the account creation. It might be several weeks away yet but a plan is formulating.

I think the best option for you to play MOULa is a Fan Shard (for example the Gehn Shard).

Christopher
Christopher

Postby Christian Walther » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 am

DreamBliss wrote:I tried to start a forum account, but never received a confirmation email.

That, unfortunately, is a known problem of the MOUL forum and likely won’t be fixed anytime soon. See here for details, including whom to contact to get your account activated.

DreamBliss wrote:There was a post in the forums that the signup server was down for an indeterminate time. I would like to play this game but can't create a character or get in touch with anyone working at MOUL (because I can't signup at the forums.)

Note that forum accounts and game accounts are completely independent. For now, until the game signup server is repaired, even having a forum account will not help you get a game account. As others say, unless you already have an account, you’re confined to fan-run shards for now. They typically have fewer players online, but on the plus side, more stable servers and more goodies.

Christopher wrote:I think the best option for you to play MOULa is a Fan Shard (for example the Gehn Shard).

That statement may be a bit confusing – according to the definitions that I am used to, MOULa is the shard run by Cyan, thus fan shards by definition are not MOULa. I’d rephrase it as “the best option for you to play Uru”.
Christian Walther

Postby Charura » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:09 pm

The closest shard related to Cyan (IMHO) is Open Source URU..I love the Gehn shard for it is far more refined and the graphics are awesome...Is it okay to post links to these?..I've noticed no one has done that yet...I don't wish to lose my privilege of being here.
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby Christopher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Christian Walther wrote:That statement may be a bit confusing – according to the definitions that I am used to, MOULa is the shard run by Cyan, thus fan shards by definition are not MOULa. I’d rephrase it as “the best option for you to play Uru”.

I always do this mistake... For me, everything using the CWE Engine is somehow MOULa :)

Christopher
Christopher

Postby DreamBliss » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:15 pm

OK, so the Open URU shard is the Gehn shard? And I need to signup at one of these custom shards to play Uru? Also graphics are better? Does that mean the MOUL uses a different engine than Myst Uru Complete Chronicles? Because that game does not support my video card (Intel integrated graphcis.) If a different engine is being used here, does it better support ancient (2004-2006 era) laptop video cards like mine? I do have full DirectX 9 support in this thing, and Myst Uru CC ran OK except the sun was weird hashlines, but I put playing Uru on this machine on the back burner for now until I had something better supported. But if MUCC has a different engine than MOUL and Open Uru has a different engine than maybe my setup is more compatible?

Thank you for the advice about the forums. Looking over the Open Uru shard list now.
If the spark does not desire the tinder there is no flame.
DreamBliss

Postby Christopher » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:31 am

The Open URU shard is the Minkata-shard. It's basically the same as MOULa. The Gehn shard is the GoW's shard. There should be a forum for it here, where you can download the installer...

Christopher
Christopher

Postby Lyrositor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:24 am

There are about four major open-source shards right now:
  • MO:ULa: which is run by Cyan,
  • The Minkata Shard: run by OpenUru.org, serves as a testing bed for changes to MO:ULa,
  • The Gehn Shard: run by the Guild of Writers and featuring two fan Ages and a plethora of bug fixes/improvements.
  • The Open Cave: a heavily modified shard.
To join any of these, you will have to download the MO:ULa installer (you don't need an account) and let it download all the content (audio, textures, etc.). You'll need to copy these resources to your shard folder once the shard client is installed.

Also, both MO:ULa and the shards use the same engine, CWE, as its base. This is NOT the same engine as the one used for Uru:CC.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby Deledrius » Wed May 01, 2013 7:53 pm

By signing up here on the forum, you already have an account to play on the Gehn Shard, making it very easy for you to try it out. You may even decide that waiting for Cyan's shard to become available to you will no longer be relevant. :)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion