Is there any way to fly in MOULa online?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: Is there any way to fly in MOULa online?

Postby Christian Walther » Mon May 20, 2013 2:14 am

Picking up a few questions that haven’t been answered yet:

DreamBliss wrote:as I understood it you can only use Max 7 for the Uru Plasma plugins.

That was only the case for the original plugin that Cyan released, but in the meantime fan developers have made it work with newer versions. You can find a binary release for Max 2012 here, for 2010 or 2011 ask Hoikas. Using Cyan’s original documentation, I have been able to export a simple age to MOUL format with that.

DreamBliss wrote:Thank you for your quick response and clear information. You're amazing! So it looks like I need to create some sort of "test dummy" avatar, get the pl client running, and set up my own MOUL server

Either the first two or the third is sufficient. Either play with plClient (an internal client) on MOULa, preferably with a test dummy avatar to reduce the potential damage, or set up your own server and play however you like there.

DreamBliss wrote:… which I assume is also what is called a shard? Or is there a difference?

No, in simple terms there is no difference. A shard is basically one independent instance of the game. (To split hairs, the word “server” has a few different meanings, and depending on which one you choose, there is a difference. For example, a shard can be distributed over several machines.)

DreamBliss wrote:In any case the short answer is that there is no flymode in MOULa, at least as far as the community knows. We all know the folks at Cyan probably have a few secrets they use in the game...

This is incorrect. You can use flymode in MOULa using an internal client. But you shouldn’t in public ages because it upsets people who feel it breaks their immersion, and you should generally be careful with internal clients because you can do a lot of damage if you don’t know what you’re doing. (“Internal” originally means “used internally at Cyan”, but since the open-sourcing everyone has the possibility to build an internal client for themselves.)

There are also different versions of MOULa, which means I will be Googling the older one. But probably can only have one version installed at a time on this computer.

If you’re referring to the 1.912 and 1.906 that Annabelle mentioned, no, you can use both of them in the same installation, as long as you take care not to have them automatically overwritten by the latest version by the updater. But there is really no reason to use an older version unless you want to exploit bugs that have been fixed in the current one. “On this computer” is much too broad anyway, you can have as many different installations of various versions of Uru on the same computer as you want.

Calena wrote:Drizzle is a small program written by Dustin that enables conversion of either Max or Blender files to URU:CC.

In this terseness, this sentence may be misleading – Drizzle doesn’t convert Max or Blender files, it converts MOUL-format PRP files, generated from Max or Blender or anything else, to Uru:CC format.

Calena wrote:If you build using Max and Cyan's plug-in, it's fairly simple to convert that from URU:CC to MOUL

You mean convert from MOUL to Uru:CC. Converting from Uru:CC to MOUL is not needed for the Max/Cyan plugin workflow, as you say, and is generally much harder (which is why very few of the many available Uru:CC fan ages have made it to MOUL-type shards).

Calena wrote:The python and SDL coding needed to create interactive ages in MOUL isn't available to age writers at this time.

Can you elaborate on what exactly is missing? I’m not an expert, but to my knowledge everything you need is available.

Edit: Christopher beat me to it regarding some points.
Christian Walther

Postby DreamBliss » Mon May 20, 2013 5:53 am

I will try to get a more comprehensive reply in here later. I am very tired right now and having trouble thinking.

OK, to start with thank you all for posting! I appreciate all your help!

I am looking over the links right now, saving everything so I can consult it later.

Looks like I only needed to clarify one thing... I do not need to know how to use 3ds Max. Or rather, I already know how to use it. I would say I am an intermediate level spline modeler. Some things like animation, baked textures, lighting, rigging - that's a little beyond my skill level. But I can pretty much make everything needed for an age, including trees. In fact trees were the last thing I worked on in Max. My biggest project was an entire village in the trees. I had all these little hut models and was setting up an entire city on an island in Morrowind.

I moved away from Max for personal reasons I will not discuss. I wanted to learn Wings 3D. Tried Blender and hated it. My plan would be to use Max to learn how to create an age, what all is needed, then I can take that and make my ages in Wings 3D, using Max merely for its plugin. Eventually I would like to create a program that can take the assets for an age from any modeling program, using common formats, and package them up into an age usable in UruCC or MOUL.

I was just stuck on the how part. How to use Max specifically for Uru modding. But I think with the links I have been given I now have the information I need. So thank you. I will give back to the community. So you will be seeing some 3DS Max and Wings 3D tutorials covering various subjects as I learn them. This is not a promise or commitment however, and may not happen for a while. Depends on how long it takes me to set everything up and get things going again. Little rusty, and I still have to learn how to use Wings 3D.

OK, wrapping up now. Thanks again for all the helpful replies!
If the spark does not desire the tinder there is no flame.
DreamBliss

Postby Deledrius » Mon May 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Modeling in Wings and then composing your Age using Max should work fine (assuming there's an export-import path for the objects, which seems more than likely). Once in Max you'll just need to change materials to Plasma Materials, set your lights if needed, and do other various wiring tasks. The Max Plugin experts around here can probably give you the needed information on the specifics.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Ainia » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Shorah again,

On a somewhat related note, I am trying to figure out how to get to the Myst V K'veer. The Offline KI /link KveerMystV command takes me to Releeshahn rather than K'veer proper (though I understand that K'veer and Releeshahn are contained in the same .age file).

And just to be clear, I am *not* looking for the MOULa version of K'veer. There are a number of differences between the two which I am trying to investigate. Ideally, I would like to use flymode in the Myst V K'veer, which seems to mean that my only option is to use my offline UruCC Drizzle conversion/install of Myst V (rather than the DI shard). Since the flymode patcher for Myst V is long gone from the internet, exploring from within the Myst V game seems unachievable.

Thus far, trying to find K'veer from Releeshahn with flymode has proved fruitless. :(

Many thanks (and fingers crossed)! :D
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Sirius » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:23 am

Drizzle→Advanced→Manual Conversion→Myst V

And in the KveerMystV.age:
Code: Select all
StartDateTime=0946713600
DayLength=24.000000
MaxCapacity=10
LingerTime=180
SequencePrefix=92
ReleaseVersion=0
Page=bkMystBookLocked,9
Page=GreatRm,2
Page=KveerBats,52
#Page=kverAtrus,31,1
#Page=kverAtrus_1,32,1
#Page=kverAtrus_Idle,51,1
#Page=kverBahro_1,48,1
#Page=kverBahro_2,49,1
#Page=kverBahro_Ballroom01,56,1
#Page=kverBahro_Ballroom02,57,1
#Page=kverBahro_Ballroom03,58,1
#Page=kverBahro_Exit01,10,1
#Page=kverBahro_Exit02,11,1
#Page=kverBahro_Idle05,26,1
#Page=kverBahro_Idle06,27,1
#Page=kverBahro_Idle07,28,1
#Page=kverBahro_Idle08,29,1
#Page=kverBahro_Idle09,30,1
#Page=kverBahro_Shot03,17,1
#Page=kverBahro_Shot04,18,1
#Page=kverBahro_Shot05,19,1
#Page=kverBahro_Shot06,20,1
#Page=kverBahro_Shot07,21,1
#Page=kverBahro_Shot08,23,1
#Page=kverBahro_Shot09,24,1
#Page=kverBahroWingsGUI,55
Page=kverConc3Music,54
#Page=kverEsher_1,50,1
#Page=kverReleeshan,22,1
#Page=kverYeesha_1,36,1
#Page=kverYeesha_Conc01,6,1
#Page=kverYeesha_Conc02,7,1
#Page=kverYeesha_Conc03,8,1
#Page=kverYeesha_ConcIntro,5,1
#Page=kverYeesha_ConcIntro2,53
#Page=kverYeesha_IdleForIntro,15,1
#Page=kverYeesha_Intro,12,1
Page=Prison,1

## remove the # symbol if you want both Releeshahn and Kveer loaded.
#Page=kverReleeshan,22
Page=kverFootRgns,97,1
Page=dusttest,90

Note: it is not a good idea to load both Kveer and Releeshan, otherwise you'll hear bird sound effects in Kveer.

There aren't much difference between the MOUL version and the Myst V ones, though. Except for the things you can already notice, such as the door, myst book, journal and keep bubble.
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:49 am

The MOUL version also added a very low-res glass texture to the window in the Great Hall.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion