OK, now I have Plasma all compiled, how to I run a client?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: OK, now I have Plasma all compiled, how to I run a clien

Postby Christopher » Wed May 22, 2013 2:50 am

You only need to send us your .age File One Time. After this you can make changes on your .prp Files and try them out instantly. You Don't need to send us your whole age.

Christopher
Christopher

Postby Deledrius » Wed May 22, 2013 1:08 pm

The server only needs the text .age file so that it knows about the Age and some important info about it. It doesn't actually need the Age itself. You can connect with your local files easily, no need to send or share it, and you can iterate it quickly and play. That reminds me, actually, to streamline this for developers, Destiny may want my SetHomeAge command I use for testing Ages (it logs you in to an Age you set instead of Relto).

As for server OSes, CentOS and Debian are great, but you're not building a general server, so keep that in mind. What's best for running dirtsand or MOSS may be more specific. Also, be aware while reading any of Dustin's tutorials that they may be considerably out of date.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby DreamBliss » Wed May 22, 2013 8:27 pm

OK, so if I understand this now it works something like this... I apply for an account for the Destiny Shard. Assuming I am granted one, I create an age (probably just a basic cube space or something to get a sense of scale and the process), login, send the .age file (still not clear who I send this to), wait for confirmation that it has been received and placed on the sever, then I can play my age. After that I can work on it locally, testing it and immediately seeing the changes, without ever having to send that .age file again.

Is that about right? Or am I still missing something?

Well I guess my best bet right now is to see if I can even get Max 8 to run with the older Max 7 plugin, and if not try the Max 2010 plugin. I have to have the pipeline in place to get everything together. Once I have that I can look into either making my own "sandbox shard" or getting a Destiny Shard account.

OK, well I'm off to build a pipeline...
If the spark does not desire the tinder there is no flame.
DreamBliss

Postby Christopher » Wed May 22, 2013 11:37 pm

DreamBliss wrote: I apply for an account for the Destiny Shard. Assuming I am granted one[...]

I can assure you, we will grant it ;)

DreamBliss wrote:I create an age (probably just a basic cube space or something to get a sense of scale and the process), login, send the .age file (still not clear who I send this to), wait for confirmation that it has been received and placed on the sever[...]

You can send the to Mystler or me. We will then upload it to the server, which can take up to 1 day.

DreamBliss wrote:[...]without ever having to send that .age file again.

I am not completly sure about this, but I think you have to send us this textfile again, if you make changes to it. Basically the server must have the same textfile as you.

Christopher
Christopher

Postby diafero » Sat May 25, 2013 4:13 am

I would recommend you first get your age working in your local client, offline, after installing the Offline KI. Remember to register a sequence prefix and read through some more wiki pages concerning age creation in general and age creation in 3ds Max. Once you get that age working, you'll know what .age files are ;-) and you can send it to Christopher or Mystler. As Christopher mentioned, you will have to send them that file again when it changes, for example when you are adding another page to your age (if you don't yet know what that is, never mind). You will also have to send them your .sdl file if you ever get one, but that's more advanced building already (.sdl files are about the permanent state of the age).
Remember that Destiny runs a MO:UL-generation server, so you need to put the original 3ds Max prp files in there, not the ones converted by Drizzle. Also, Uru always assumes taht everyone in an age has the same version of all files, and Destiny does not ensure this is the case - so if you want to test your age with others, ensure you are all using *exactly* the same version!
In case all these different Uru versions still confuse you, read through the Uru article in the wiki.

When you are read to release your age, you can pack up all the files as described on the UAM page, and notify me. Then I will put your age on Deep Island and UAM, and other Shards will probably pick it up.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby DreamBliss » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:08 pm

OK sir, I will do as you instructed.

Still not sure if I want to use the Destiny shard or make my own. I know I would like to know how to make my own. But probably using Destiny is simple. Still have issues however getting a client working.
DreamBliss

Postby Christopher » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:41 am

DreamBliss wrote:Still have issues however getting a client working.

Seems to be my fault :oops: I tried to make a clean installation of the Destiny and noticed, that I forgot to include some files in the package... I will update it until tomorrow.

Christopher
Christopher

Postby DreamBliss » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:45 am

OK, then I shall try Destiny/MOUL age building once again...

No need for apologies. We are not our mistakes. They are just something we all may happen to do...
DreamBliss

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion