Hey there. Long time no see.....

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Hey there. Long time no see.....

Postby andylegate » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Been quite a LONG time since I've been to this forum.

But I was contacted by someone that wanted my permission for something, and I'll admit that I was curious (bit shocked too) as to what has been going on here at the GoW.

It's been.....what? A year and a half or so? I think I was here about a year ago to answer a question. And it's been more than a year since I was in the Cavern.

So what all has changed? What's new? Anything worth shouting about and dancing around?

Just curious, or rather curiosity got the better of me. Haven't thought of Uru, MOUL or here in so very long.....
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Hey there. Long time no see.....

Postby Calena » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi Andy! Good to hear from you.

Hmm . . . what all is new? Let's see.

1. We're having fun building again! How's that for a good change :D . We're not even 100% certain what we're going to do with all the stuff we're building, but we're building anyhow cause it's what we like to do. We've gotten a few new builders and a few more have returned. This is a good thing.

2. Work is slowly starting on Korman, which is the new plugin being designed for the newer versions of Blender. The devs have some good ideas, but they could use some help.

3. A lady named Dulcamara recently published the most GIGANTIC age we've ever seen built by a fan :shock: . It was a huge hit on Deep Island, which is the only Alcugs shard left that I know of.

4. Everyone and their brother wants you to make more tutorials for Cyan's plugin :P . There was a public interview with Rand last week and he agreed to organize some Skype sessions with 3dsMax builders to assist in learning the plugin.

On a personal note, I don't know if you're aware but a certain person who thinks -25 degrees is balmy recently acquired a wife!
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Greetings Andy

It is great to see you. I know that you used TerraGen in the past in the creation of some of your ages but I have been unable to locate the tutorials for the import of those generated in TerraGen to 3DS Max. I am about ready to toss out what I have done and start over in 3DS Max 8

BTW the Prerelease of TerraGen 3 came out on the 23rd and full version will be out on the 29th...
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby andylegate » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:25 pm

You mean all the tutorials I made way back when for using the Max Plugin wasn't enough :shock:

wow. I mean I'm sure people might have questions about certain things, maybe more advanced stuff, but I thought I covered the basics pretty well. Or is it more about how to use Max itself?

Been thinking about dabbling in Age Creation again. If I do, it would be with Max and the Cyan plugin, since that's what I remember the most (er......what I remember anyways....I'll have to reread my own tutorials. Good thing I still have a link to them in my signature. I went and looked and they are all still there. Wow.).

Any hoo, it's good to see that there are people still making things.
andylegate

Postby andylegate » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:32 am

Wamduskasapa wrote:Greetings Andy

It is great to see you. I know that you used TerraGen in the past in the creation of some of your ages but I have been unable to locate the tutorials for the import of those generated in TerraGen to 3DS Max. I am about ready to toss out what I have done and start over in 3DS Max 8

BTW the Prerelease of TerraGen 3 came out on the 23rd and full version will be out on the 29th...

I don't think I ever did a tut for this. I seem to remember that after generating the terrain in TerraGen, you can export what you've created as a .obj file and then import it into Blender.

Lately (er, I should say over a year ago) I was using UDK and Cryengine which have built in terrain editors, and was hand crafting the terrain in them. I'll go look through my tutorials in the link in my signature and see if I did anything on it.
andylegate

Postby andylegate » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:13 am

Okay, no I never did do a tutorial on how to use TerraGen I'm afraid. I do seem to remember a very old tutorial that was put out back in 2007 or so by someone here at the GoW, but the wiki has been revamped and I can't find it.

So a little bit of research on my part:

I downloaded TerraGen 3 free version and took a look. There is no way to export a 3D mesh from it that I can find. It's for rendering portraits mostly. I do not know about TerraGen 2, and there is no free version to use.

However, they still have what they call TerraGen Classic, which was version 0.9. It's free, and you can export a mesh from whatever you create in it. Here is a link to download it:

http://planetside.co.uk/terragen-classic-windows-download

And here is how I used to do it:

Create the terrain you want in TerraGen Classic:

In the "Landscape" box is a button that says "Export", click on it and another window will open:

change the dropdown box to "Lightwave 3D Object", then click on "Select File and Save" and save the file.

Now I do not know about the newer versions of Blender. But I was able to open up and import the Lightwave file in the old Blender 2.49:

If nothing else you can import it in this old version of Blender, and then save it as a blend file and open it up in a newer version of Blender, or you can export it as a 3D object that Max can open up.

TerraGen Classic is what I had used in the past for Ages like Camp Bravo. Hope this helped.
andylegate

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:49 am

I have been using 3DS Max 8 which allows the import of FBX and OBJ files which TerraGen 2 & 3 also will handle.

BUT - NONE of the textures, plants, buildings, or atmospheric effects are imported...
Wamduskasapa

Postby andylegate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:18 am

Wamduskasapa wrote:I have been using 3DS Max 8 which allows the import of FBX and OBJ files which TerraGen 2 & 3 also will handle.

BUT - NONE of the textures, plants, buildings, or atmospheric effects are imported...

I do not know TerraGen's capability of exporting those things. Objects like plants or buildings, I always had to make in Blender or Max as a mesh.

Textures made with paint shop or free ones supplied on the internet, which then are used by the material editor in either Blender or Max to make the materials exclusively used by the Plasma engine for rendering.

Atmospheric effects (fog or haze, but known as fog in Plasma, density and color of it) was always controlled by the Plasma game engine from what I remember. Other things like rain or snow are particles, that again you have to set up using the Plasma Plugins, and wind with bone animation again, you have to do with the Writing tools (either the GoW or Cyan tool).

Unless things have changed drastically from what I remember.
andylegate

Postby Wamduskasapa » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:42 am

I know nothing about Blender and very little about 3DS Max 8 (I just started with it this month). I have been working with TerraGen for over a year now I like what can be done with its tools. BUT SINCE it is totally worthless for use in developing ages for URU I guess it may as well be file 13'd. And get myself started on the LONG RODE to redoing what may become, my age..

Forgive me for sidetracking and derailing this Topic.

NOW - To get back on track
Wamduskasapa

Return to Off-Topic Discussion