What is Cyan up to?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: What is Cyan up to?

Postby dendwaler » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:53 pm

I saw a comment of one of the backers and i think he is right.
I will quote his post here.

Aaron Pool about 10 hours ago
If I am understanding how this all fits together, combining Road Trip mode and Oculus Rift support would let two different people (with two separate but network connected computers) both enjoy the VR version of Obduction and both look around and see the details they are interested in. Maybe that's too hard to allow the two Road Trippers to be looking different directions. But if it's not too hard, I'd think Oculus Rift fans would pile on to get us to the Road Trip tier so that they can share an Oculus Rift experience with a buddy.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Deledrius » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:20 am

I don't see why the two would interfere in any non-trivial ways. The OR support is just a local rendering output. The rest of RT mode doesn't really have any dependence on that.

belford wrote:I guess you'd just see an option to select a group of players (the way you do in any Internet-based multiplayer game). Then the game engines would link up, with one being the master and the rest following -- they'd just display everything the master displays. Add a chat pane and you're done.

Developing this is some work -- any multiplayer game code is hairy. But the design is straightforward, as long as the engine has a clear notion of game state which can be copied between instances.

My thoughts too. The networking is most of the work assuming it's designed from the start with the rest in mind. I really like this idea and wish it weren't such an unlikely goal to be reached. It's a very smart upgrade for the genre.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby janaba » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:07 am

While I don't see this goal as unlikely to be reached as the development of everything is moving forward so fast and more and more fast by leaps and bounds, and in general I don't see anything or any goal as being unlikely or not possible to be reached anyway lol, everything is actually already there, we're just waiting for this to be thrown into the market places as sth 'new' lol, but this is about to change as well haha, but besides that I don't believe or at least it sounds like that for me that this hasn't anything to do with multiplayer functionality per se ... As I have quoted someone before and also the KS update to that subject as well as of the quote dendwaler posted above, for me this sounds like a two man group so to speak, so, sth between only two people in whatever way over the internet connected ... :P

That's where my not understanding comes from as I cannot conceive of how that might be working in reality, but that doesn't mean anything as I'm far from being informed of all technical possibilities as this is not my main interest of high significance in my life, and this certainly does not imply that this or whatever wouldn't be possible to realize and implement ... :)
janaba

Postby Acorn » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:13 am

Is it something they could do later, if they create the right "pegs" to build it onto when they create the game initially? Just thinking that once they've launched the game and got some sales, they might want to issue some upgrades, expansion packs, or add-ons that fans could buy...compare CC and POTS? Here's hoping. ;)
Acorn

Postby janaba » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:42 pm

There's a great interview on the pcworld.com with Rand about everything incl. the 'new' realMyst, Obduction etc. ... Deep dive with Myst co-creator Rand Miller: The full interview ... :P

For all who didn't see the new Cyan Kickstarter update #26 yet ... Obduction - "Last Day" Schedule of Events! ... This looks like a long, awesome and exciting night for many and a wonderful conclusion of an extraordinary and unforgettable funding period leading us all, all who like to come along, into an auspicious and magical future and time ... See you all there at anytime anywhere ... :)
janaba

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:23 am

With only 2 hours left to go they made $1,300,072. At that point I received a Skype Call from Ryan Warzecha with their thanks. His answer to my question - was that at the present they do not have the PayPal donation results available yet.
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Acorn » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:29 am

Wamduskasapa wrote:With only 2 hours left to go they made $1,300,072. At that point I received a Skype Call from Ryan Warzecha with their thanks. His answer to my question - was that at the present they do not have the PayPal donation results available yet.

cool, Wam!

I'm still catching up with the hangout video, I'm probably missing all sorts of other stuff that's happening, like the skype calls - I'd forgotten them!
Acorn

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:52 am

Here are 4 screenshots that I took in the cavern while Rawa, Saxy, and Grey Dragon were holding discussions.

Image Image Image Image
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Acorn » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:16 am

At least I got to the session with RAWA! Thanks for the pics, Wam!
Acorn

Postby janaba » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:47 am

Hi everyone, thanks for the beautiful pictures, Wam, and what a great and awesome time that has been ... :P

I didn't attend that RAWA session as well as the Saxy and Ryan Minkata hilarity etc., but nevermind (it was just too early lol), I've had my breakfast with Cyan Worlds, which was a sheer delight and pleasure for me and an appropriate conclusion of it all ... For the sake of completeness, for anyone interested and/or not yet being aware of it, here's the 'The Final Countdown' breakfast at Cyan Worlds ... I'd also like to add a video recording of the RAWA meeting in the Obductee's hood ... and last but not least a video of an 'Obduction Hangout # 2' with interesting attendees' questions and answers by Rand and Eric, I believe that happened before RAWA's meeting, because in the middle of it RAWA left for the cavern ... :)

And here's a special request as I've also posted it on the MOUL forums:

This just came in through Cyan World's Fb RSS feed:
He helped us make Obduction a reality (by pushing us through his Twitter fans over the million mark - this I, Janaba, have added) - now let's help him win the People's Choice Awards 2014! Don't let Neil Patrick Harris stay in last place: Please vote for him here ... You just have to click his face and you're done ... :D
janaba

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion