What is Cyan up to?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

What is Cyan up to?

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:54 am

I'm sure you've all seen by now that Cyan has been updating stuff, posting cryptic pictures, and renewing their website and logo. So what do you think they're up to? They actually post on Facebook now on a decently regular basis. Could they be trying to build up momentum for something they're working on? Or do you think they're just tying to make sure people don't completely forget them? :P
Justintime9

Re: What is Cyan up to?

Postby Rabbit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:22 pm

I would like to think they were building up to something. Maybe they have won a contract for some work, or have some amazing new game in the works. But who knows? I'm sure time will tell. Perhaps we may see some small piece of content in MOULa as part of the 20 years of Myst.
Rabbit

Postby tachzusamm » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:32 pm

I would think they are... um... eating something 8-)
At least they have a new team: http://cyan.com/the-team/
tachzusamm

Postby Karkadann » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Something profitable, I would think. Hopes and prayers don't play the bills
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Ainia » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Shorah everyone,

I seems to me that since Cyan has invested significant time and money into upgrading something that had been languishing for a very long while, they must be anticipating the need for a renewed public presence and an upgraded set of user forums. I doubt they would invest in something without a good business reason for doing so. Granted, Hannah is a student intern, which means she isn't being paid as much as the other folk there, but I think Cyan still would focus on spending their money wisely. They have been through enough fiscal crises to be cautious about where their money and time goes.

So for my part, I am more than cautiously optimistic! :D To me, this is a sign that something big is on the horizon; big enough to warrant preparing for a massive increase in web site traffic and Cyan forum activity. If this is true, then it couldn't happen at a better time or for a better group of folks!
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:02 am

For the past year they have been busy in developing I-pad and smartphone apps for the Myst Game series. IMHO - They just might be thinking of porting URU over...
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Sirius » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:48 am

If Cyan is planning something, I doubt it's Uru related. They stopped adding new content ages ago, except for bugfixes.
I think they're rather working on another smartphone/iPad app... although I hope I'm wrong... :P

EDIT: I just noticed what Cyan wrote in the news:
Thanks again for all the support. We’re looking back, and looking forward. We know some of you may get tired of hearing this, but…

“Perhaps the ending has not yet been written.” – Atrus (Myst)

Might be they are doing something Uru-Myst related, after all. Maybe not. Who knows...
Sirius

Postby Lyrositor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:09 am

Greydragon confirmed in CyanChat that it's not Myst-related; among other things, he said:
"<greydragon> Sorry I kind of just spit it out there that this is a new IP... but I don't want you to get all worked up about something that won't be there.."
"<greydragon> Rand is involved and we have worked with him and other Cyantist too..."
"<greydragon> Soon you will know more about this project."
"<greydragon> So now that you know its a new IP... What is the one thing that Cyan can say to you to make you not fear the project?"
"<greydragon> Well we have a release date, if we get our funding... of course if we get more funding the larger the project becomes and it moves that date out depending.. Or we just hire more people... Its all about scope of the project and budgeting"

He also mentioned they'd release some artwork eventually.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby Justintime9 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:56 am

Hmm, some good insights. I think there's definitely reason for hope. It's funny though, the Myst community/Cyan fan base has experienced so much disappointment that I think everyone's just sort of "given up." Not that they aren't looking for something new and awesome, but they're not constantly on the edge of their seat hoping that any moment something will show up. So I think it'd be perfect for Cyan to do something NOW, because since people seem to have sort of gone on with their lives, it's a pleasant surprise.

I do hope they do something non MYST related though. Not so much like little iOS games like "Bug Chucker," or "Stoneship," but something that resembles MYST's aesthetic. Though it'll be hard to match the storyline. I guest the most important thing is, Cyan seems to be bringing themselves into the modern age, making themselves relevant again - and hopefully this time without depending on their old success. (Making a bajillion MYST re-releases and such.)
Justintime9

Postby Karkadann » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:10 am

I believe Cyan left adding the new content up to us, presently they have a couple of things in mind including Sevcor for adding fan ages however nobody has any fan ages to add to MOUILa
that I know of. I started a thread Nominate a Fan Age just to get things started so when we do have something set up to add fan ages we will have some fan ages to add.
It would be a shame to have a couple of ways to add fan ages with no fan ages to add. In addition I think we still may need Adams technical know how
or another GreyHat to add linking books to Sevcor, unless I can figure it out myself
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion