What is Cyan up to?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: What is Cyan up to?

Postby Tweek » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:52 am

You are correct the Real Myst remake has nothing to do with the hints being dropped by EAA and GD, that is new IP completely. EAA and GD aren't the only ones working on this other project though others are helping too.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby janaba » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:37 pm

I'd say we'll very soon know what Cyan might be up to ... This new Cyan Fb entry arrived in my RSS feeds an hour ago (I've just posted this onto the new Cyan forums too) ... They posted a very nice, insightful and promising article on 'The Pacific NW Inlander' with some more concrete hints to their new Kickstarter project intended to be launched as soon as next month ... Yeah, something to really look forward to, I believe ... :P
janaba

Postby belford » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:30 am

Excellent. I'm not on Facebook, so thanks for the link.
belford

Postby cskid13 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:57 am

janaba wrote:They posted a very nice, insightful and promising article on 'The Pacific NW Inlander'

Wow... that brings back memories. I used to live in the Spokane/Mead area, and I remember the Inlander! About what Cyan's doing, I heard they're working on a new game that's sounds like Zork so far (except it's not text based).
cskid13

Postby tachzusamm » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:22 am

Today (if I'm not wrong, because I'm in a different timezone) Cyan has started their own Kickstarter project.

Good news is that Stephan Martinière and Eric A. Anderson are in the team again, two well-known artists who gave their worlds that special mystic touch in the past.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction
tachzusamm

Postby janaba » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:53 am

tachzusamm wrote:Today (if I'm not wrong, because I'm in a different timezone) Cyan has started their own Kickstarter project.

Good news is that Stephan Martinière and Eric A. Anderson are in the team again, two well-known artists who gave their worlds that special mystic touch in the past.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction

I'm so very excited as I've just expressed it already on the Cyan forums ... I was already thinking of posting it here, whether to this thread or by starting a new one I wasn't clear about yet lol ... :P

That we would see that day that Cyan would really start and create sth whole and completely new, and it looks and sounds already so awesome ... Yeah, also have a look onto Cyan's 'Obduction' game website with only the Kickstarter and Paypal links and the beautiful video on it atm and the announcement on their own Cyan.com website in the News section ... I can't wait to see this all unfolding and it is fun to watch the backers and bucks numbers going up by the minute and by the second sometimes as you can see in petitions ... :)
janaba

Postby tachzusamm » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:42 am

I understand your excitement. But be careful with raising your expectations too high until the goal is really reached. 1.1 Million Dollars is a horrible high goal in my opinion.
Well, of course I already made my pledge - the highest I ever made in Kickstarter (not telling the amount of course), and I hope they'll make it, but we will see.
All I can do and suggest is to spread the word.

In my opinion they have a chance. Most adventure players seem to prefer games where they can play alone, so this would fit. MMOs are great, but they appear to be most liked when there are dungeons, boss fights, and some PVP. ^^
tachzusamm

Postby janaba » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:24 am

They're at 50.000+ counting already whithin a few hours, and 1.1 million is not too high, I believe, when you take into consideration the time they've been given themselves ... :P

The energy is high, the highest and most intense and favorable we've ever experienced on earth, ok, haha, I just know it and I am it as everybody is, of course ... So, not for one moment, whatever others might say or prophesy or predict or whatever, I hope and wish for them, all at Cyan, that they'll never ever waver or doubt that they'll make it to the completion of that wonderful project made of love and passion and all such great supporting and elevating energies flowing into it by some awesome creative and talented people.

That's how creation works, and we're all creators after all in one way or another ... Cautious optimism doesn't work anymore, I suppose never really ever worked as the past has shown, like that you're withholding the power you need for your success ... It is only, have the courage and the confidence and go for it, for what is in your heart and thus is your real passion, then there's a great chance you'll win, and what is there to lose anyway ... :)
Last edited by janaba on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
janaba

Postby Sirius » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 am

This looks really great. I hope they manage doing this. It's good to know Cyan isn't dead yet, even though they don't make Myst games anymore.

And they're using Unreal for the game. Heh, the particle flow in the first 30 seconds of video is so typical of UDK4.
This is good news, because it also means either Cyan or the fans will find a way to make it Oculus-Rift compatible.

Yeah 1.1 million sounds like a large amount of money, but since they are already at 50,000 currently (which means twice what it was 2-3 hours ago), it might be possible they reach it within 29 days.

It would be interesting if it had been an MMOG, because fans from the Myst community would have started making stuff with Unreal - better stuff than the current fan-Ages.
On the other hand, all the work put in Plasma/Uru would be abandoned.
At least this time Cyan won't forget thinking about a scenario for the game :P

About exploring with friends, Unreal can handle multiplayer. Some people might find a way to enable it ;)
Sirius

Postby Afalstein » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 am

I think it's time for Cyan to move on from Myst. They've done just about everything they can with that premise, and it's high time they started afresh. I mean, I would love to see a new Myst game too, but this new direction is probably better. It looks a lot more colorful and exotic than most of their games, and in the Unreal Engine, it could have all the immersion we used to associate with Cyan. I haven't yet decided how much I can afford to spend on this, but I'm definitely going to be giving something.
Afalstein

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion