Computers and moving (not copying) files.

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Computers and moving (not copying) files.

Postby Ehren » Wed May 11, 2016 11:39 pm

This is really bad news, I clicked on my Uru directory, but with an unsteady hand I accidentally dragged it into another folder. I made a huge mistake then by clicking on the cancel button for the dialog box telling me it was moving it, which caused the box to become stuck at moving "0" items.

I couldn't get the box to go away so I ended "explorer.exe" which to my surprise got rid of all the desktop interface. I restarted my computer, but despite my initial attempt at cancellation, the Uru directory is ENTIRELY gone now and I really have a problem now because I didn't let it move to whatever folder I dragged it to either.

I don't know how moving files on a computer works in the event of hitting cancel... There is no undo option, I guess since I restarted my computer. I kept a lot of extra stuff in that directory other than just the URU program install! In fact, with this I lose the custom age I had been trying to work on, it wasn't exactly a groundbreaking age, but it was mine... So my question is

IS THERE ANY CHANCE IN HELL THAT MY URU DIRECTORY ACTUALLY SOMEHOW STILL EXISTS ON MY COMPUTER???
Ehren

Re: Computers and moving (not copying) files.

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu May 12, 2016 12:05 am

Have you attempted a System Restore???

Go to Control Panel double click System Icon in left column click System Protection (Third choice down) In new box choose System Restore

Personally I create a System Restore weekly (third choice in that Box Create) or before ANY Major modification. Microsoft creates one before each Security and Program Update (monthly)
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby dendwaler » Thu May 12, 2016 1:27 am

First of all, dont copy or delete any new files on the disk that has to be recovered.

I am afraid that system restore gives you little chance, because its data you lost and not system files.
system restore does recover the system files while leaving the data intact.
Perhaps if you are lucky the data is still safe in your dustbin.
If so, then dont empty it, but restore it.

If that does not work and it is realy completely lost you need a data recovery tool.
A portable one that can be run from another disk.
You can get a free and good one ( without spam or any other unwanted files) from
Https://www.piriform.com
And download Recuva
Using the save as command to be sure that the download does not alter the drive that has to be recovered!

I wish you good luck
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu May 12, 2016 2:22 am

dendwaler wrote:First of all, dont copy or delete any new files on the disk that has to be recovered.

I am afraid that system restore gives you little chance, because its data you lost and not system files.
Perhaps if you are lucky the data is still safe in your dustbin.
If so, then dont empty it, but restore it.

I am afraid that I have to agree with Dendwaler
I apologize I was thinking of a System Image Recovery (Backup and Restore).

System Image backups the entire Operating System, PLUS all Files in Libraries and Personal Folders for all Users within a compressed format.
For my 2TB C Drive it takes about 4 hours to accomplish - IF I disconnect from the internet (so I normally do this monthly while I sleep)
The System Image is maintained on an exterior Hard Drive NOT normally connected to the system...
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Ehren » Thu May 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Well, I seem to have gotten all my files back, but only because I was wrong when I thought they ended up nowhere.

I did the system restore thing first. Since I actually had installed a rather big update for windows about an hour before this incident. This meant there was a backup point so incredibly recent that the risks seemed low of trying it. Interestingly, I got back small parts of the directory, mostly the files that were *.exe and *.dll . I was still missing the vast majority of files though...

However, I looked into the Steam folder again (which is the folder I accidentally dragged the Uru directory to in the first place) and found that the remaining files were in an Uru directory folder in there...

I would swear it wasn't in there the first time I checked, but logic tells me it must have been. It's probably because I was so upset that I ended up looking at Steam's many folders and not registering what I was actually reading. I was upset at myself, and already thinking how I'd ask for help.

Another thing, I guess I should have remembered how fast moving files gets completed when copying files would still be checking for all the files to copy... at this point my theory is that I hit cancel at just the right moment that it was finishing moving the files, so somehow I ended up stuck with a "0 out of 0 moved" progress box. (I don't remember the exact wording of it.)

Normally, I always let moving or copying complete itself even when I accidentally do it, and then clean up or fix it once it's done. It was just this one time that I for some reason reflexively tried to cancel it. And then got that sinking feeling of it all being gone forever now.

I'm sorry about this.
Ehren

Postby Acorn » Fri May 13, 2016 1:57 am

how nice to have a happy ending to a sad story! :D
Acorn

Return to Off-Topic Discussion