Downscaled textures in Uru

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Downscaled textures in Uru

Postby Sirius » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:38 am

Hey guys.

Just noticed something a bit crazy: it seems Uru sometime uses low resolution textures for no reason.
The textures PRP for every Age sometime contains both a normal version of the texture, and a duplicate using a smaller resolution - and the game ends up using this second texture instead of the higher res one, even if you push the graphics quality to highest in the game's options. Strange, huh ?

Here are a few comparison pictures. Left part is the original game, right one is with the better texture.
Show Spoiler

I'm not sure why Cyan did that. It wouldn't make sense to do this just to save video memory... (for the technical guys here, it seems some plLayers point to a mipmap with a higher clipId than the one available, like 0#2 instead of 0#0)

I've implemented this fix in Drizzle, I'll probably release this new version soon after some more testing.
Sirius

Re: Downscaled textures in Uru

Postby GPNMilano » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:22 pm

It uses low resolution textures depending on what was set in the material settings in 3ds Max. Its done to reduce size so that if you say have a rock texture for away that the avatar won't ever get close up with, you can a 1024x rock texture but it'll export as a 512x or you can set it even lower if you want. Plasma by default uses the 512x setting, so even if you put a 1024x image in, it by default exports a 512x version unless you change the setting in the texture field in max to export it as its full size.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Return to Off-Topic Discussion