VorpX VR

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

VorpX VR

Postby zeke365 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:18 am

So i started thinking of what kind of old games can be transferred into VR when I came across VropX which takes old games and makes them in Vr or stereo 3D and one of the games out of all games is Myst V. So I thought I share this for those looking into VR :D :D Here a list of of game compatibility https://www.vorpx.com/supported-games/ and you can buy it here https://www.vorpx.com/
zeke365

Re: VorpX VR

Postby Aloys » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:53 am

Nice! I don't have a VR headset these days, (well I still do have my old Occulus DK2, but it's a bit ancient), but I'd love to try it. Some of the areas must be quite impressive. Todelmer....

Have you tried it?
Aloys

Postby zeke365 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:51 pm

I have not but found a YouTube video that gives an idea of what might be. https://youtu.be/o3yn1uoxL_k

Mind you I was watching this on my Oculus go so there might be some differences. Might be fun to check out.
zeke365

Postby Sirius » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:31 am

Never tried VorpX myself. I suppose it doesn't have rotational headtracking ? Otherwise seems like it's working fairly well, due to being a commercial product.
There is also Vireio Perception, but it's barely functional and seems abandoned. Don't know if it works with any Myst game.
You could also use Depth3D (which does side-by-side rendering based on the depth buffer) with an app like Bigscreen. Once again, I personally never tried it.

There is yet another alternative, which is using NVidia 3DVision (NVidia's old driver for 3D screens). I have used it extensively, and love it.
To be honest, 3DVision is a complete mess. It's extremely annoying to get it working, but once it's correctly setup, oooh boy it looks good...
With a bit LOT of fiddling, you have the following options for 3D rendering:
  • A 3D monitor with shutter glasses, obviously. I recently discovered my monitor is 3D compatible since it has both GSync and a high refresh rate. Those monitors are expensive, but the high refresh rate is incredible even for non-3D apps and web browsing.
  • Red/blue anaglyph. Means it's compatible with all cheap red/blue glasses, and you don't need a special monitor. Lower quality, but cheap.
  • Side-by-side stereo, which you reroute to a VR headset using an app like Bigscreen. Harder to setup, but when you look at the center of the virtual screen, it fills your whole vision and the 3D is really accurate. Fairly similar to Depth3D, except it's "proper" side-by-side 3D, and not based on the depth buffer.

I didn't do a full playthrough of Myst V yet, but it does render in 3D. Uru is another story as it requires an extra directX 8 to 9 convertor. I haven't looked too deeply into it yet...
EDIT: Got Uru to render in 3D too, and it works beautifully ! :) I did a bit of first-person Wall climbing, looks cool.

So yeah. Not exactly VR as it doesn't have headtracking, and a real pain to setup, but I thought I'd mention it as an alternative. Personally I've been having a blast replaying Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed in 3D with the shutter glasses. The resolution is insanely better than any VR headset, and the glasses are more comfortable too.
Sirius

Return to Off-Topic Discussion