Can anyone help me with importing MQO?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Can anyone help me with importing MQO?

Postby lizzie_tsai » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:48 am

Hey, I'd like to know exactly how to import MQO into Myst Uru. I am not a developer, so I'm going to need detailed, step-by step instructions.

I was on a different forum and I didn't receive what I needed there, so I would really appreciate any help you can offer.
lizzie_tsai

Re: Can anyone help me with importing MQO?

Postby Dulcamara » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:32 am

Hello Lizzie_tsai :)

I think by MQO you mean the Magi Quest. This game doesn't actually exist anymore, that means you can't really play it. But there is a possibility to visit a few smaller locations in Deep Island or in Uru offline, if you have the data from Magiquest. To upload the data you need a program. It's called Drizzle and it's a very simple program to load fanages into your UruOffline installation. For Deep Island you only need to add a couple of Relto pages or to install Myst V, MagiQuest, HexIsle and Crowthistle ages so that you can visit these locations. Most interactions do not work there, but it is still worth going through these ages just to admire your beauty. :)

https://guildofwriters.org/wiki/Drizzle

some photos, the text is in German but you can change the language
Drizzle.zip
(549.19 KiB) Downloaded 303 times

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nosu4m ... /MagiQuest

If you have more questions feel free to ask

I hope that was helpful for you

Greetings
Dulcamara :)
Dulcamara

Postby lizzie_tsai » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:13 am

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

I've downloaded Drizzle and tried to impost the file you recommended, but I can't. It keeps saying "the MagiquestOnline folder you selected doesn't exist. Please select the file that contains MQExplorer.exe."

I feel like I've tried everything. I tried renaming MQlauncher to MQExplorer.exe, tried renaming MQExplorer itself to MQExplorer.exe, tried running the extracted version (it's in a zip file now), the non extracted version- everything!

I am stumped. I know other people had this problem before, but they weren't very clear about how to get past this. Can you help? Thanks!

lizzie_tsai
Last edited by lizzie_tsai on Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizzie_tsai

Postby lizzie_tsai » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:20 am

Also, the file you sent me looks like the game file of an actual, playable game. There's .ogg audio files, animations, character animations, cutscenes, etc. What does this mean for the playability once I succeed in running it through Drizzle? Is it going to be like Myst Online? Are there interactables? I'm curious. :)
lizzie_tsai

Postby lizzie_tsai » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:25 am

I understand the server function is dead for good. I'm not going to be able to play with my friends. I'm ok with that.
lizzie_tsai

Postby Sirius » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:09 am

lizzie_tsai wrote:It keeps saying "the MagiquestOnline folder you selected doesn't exist. Please select the file that contains MQExplorer.exe."

Drizzle requires the files to be extracted outside the zip. It could be confused if the path to the files contains special characters (especially if your username contains characters like ë, é, ß, etc) or if it's too long. Can you try putting the game files in a C:/MQO folder, and convert from there ? (you can delete this folder afterwards.) This might solve the problem. Also, you don't need to rename MQExplorer.exe - Drizzle will only check if the file exists to make sure the location is correct, it doesn't really care what the contents of the file is.

lizzie_tsai wrote:Also, the file you sent me looks like the game file of an actual, playable game. There's .ogg audio files, animations, character animations, cutscenes, etc. What does this mean for the playability once I succeed in running it through Drizzle? Is it going to be like Myst Online? Are there interactables? I'm curious. :)

You will be able to explore the locations, but nothing will be interactable. There will be sounds and a few animations, but nothing big. The original game had combat and magic, I think, but these don't work at all in Uru.

lizzie_tsai wrote:I understand the server function is dead for good. I'm not going to be able to play with my friends. I'm ok with that.

Yes, unfortunately the original MQO game is now completely unplayable... It wasn't as pretty as Uru, Myst V or Crowthistle though, and it was really small. It's not a big loss in my opinion, but it's still annoying.
However, if you want to explore the locations with friends, you can do it on the Deep Island Shard (I never tried it, but as long as you have the converted files in the DI folder it should work). Obviously there still won't be any interaction, but at least you can have fun together.
Sirius

Postby lizzie_tsai » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:42 am

Ok, how do I do that? Also what do i set the Pots folder to in drizzle?
lizzie_tsai

Postby lizzie_tsai » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:49 am

Never mind, I got it> :D
lizzie_tsai

Postby lizzie_tsai » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:56 am

There's just one more problem. I'm trying to run the sound decompress on drizzle and it keeps saying "soundcompress.exe is not responding". Is there any way to troubleshoot this?
lizzie_tsai

Postby lizzie_tsai » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 am

I have solved the sound decompressing problem. There's only one problem left. I don't know exactly how to start the game in MOUL. I've tried just starting it, but nothing's happening. Got any advice?
lizzie_tsai

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion