Neural Network generating an actual GTA style game.

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Neural Network generating an actual GTA style game.

Postby Aloys » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:51 pm

This is way off topic, but I stumbled upon this video of a research project that show how two guys managed to set up a neural network that can generate from scratch an actual, interactive GTA style game...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udPY5rQVoW0
This might be the most impressive computer related thing I've ever seen. This thing is actually creating on the fly an interactive game. Whithout a game engine, without existing 3D models or textures, just creating the whole thing from scratch on the fly...

The last thing that blew my ming that much was the first Doom 3 demo, back it 2002.. The visuals were so beyond anything available at the time, it was insane. But is more than just visuals, this is just a whole new world. The potential here is insane. Every thing that's going on in this field of research right now is amazing. Going down this path, 15 years from now, maybe less, we'll be able to create whole interactive experiences on our lunch break just by inputing a few words.. "Hey computer, make me a Myst/Zelda/Tetris mash up game will ya?"
Aloys

Re: Neural Network generating an actual GTA style game.

Postby Sirius » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:53 am

This is really an impressive tech achievement, and it's never-before-seen stuff... But ! At the same time, I think people have too many expectations from it. (I'm not talking about the performance - this can be easily fixed.)

These past years I've heard a lot of people talk about AI written plays, AI painted art, and now, AI generated games. But ultimately, AIs are just glorified random number generators - they totally lack any creativity, and can only shuffle existing data without any out-of-the-box thinking. Like all things procedural, it gets boring real quick (assuming it's even capable of generating semi-decent content).

It does show promise for better procedural content in the future, though. Things like procedurally generated levels or worlds, trained on actual work from existing level designers. But I think this will be mostly useful as a developer's tool.

I just hope game companies don't use this as a crutch for a lack of artistic direction, or as a way to fill their games to the brim with procedural content, disregarding proper human-made work and creativity...
*sneer*

Bwahaha ! Quantity over quality ? Nah, surely that would never happen with today's gaming industry !

Seriously though, it is super interesting, thanks a lot for sharing ! :)
Sirius

Return to Off-Topic Discussion