Sounds and ULM

Announcements and discussion regarding Trylon's Uru Library Manager

Sounds and ULM

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:12 pm

When the next version of ULM that supports sounds is released, we should consider the problem of the large size of the WAV files. An OGG file can be 2 MB, but its WAV counterpart can be 32 MB.

Perhaps only the OGG file can be stored on the server; when the ULM client downloads the age, it could activate a converter that generates a WAV file for the OGG file. I know of one bit of open-source code that has this conversion:

http://audacity.cvs.sourceforge.net/audacity/

What do you think?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Re: Sounds and ULM

Postby Chacal » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:40 pm

I think this solution is a little clunky. Surely there are dedicated, command-line ogg-to-wav converters out there.

BTW, do we know for sure what file is needed for each kind of sound?
There are many more .ogg files than .wav files in the Uru directories.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Nadnerb » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Uru generates the streamingCache files by decompressing some of the ogg files in the sfx directory. In theory, we might only need the ogg files.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Chacal » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:37 am

That fits with what I thought, but this week somebody said something different, and the wiki only mentions .wav files.
Should be easy to test, if only I had some time.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Trylon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:09 am

Ive been doing some tests, and preliminary testing suggests that we don't need to distribute the .wav file along with the ogg file.

Curently, ULM already supports sending along ogg files from the sfx folder, so if the streamingcache files aren't neccesary, the sound support is already there. Please help me test it out...
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Aloys » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:04 am

I distinctly remember not having any sound in Ages if I had no wav files in the cache. Now this happened for the Cyan AGes (I had cleared out the cache folder because I needed some space on my HD) and I had to expand manualy the OGG files again using the SoundDecompress.exe file.
I don't see why it would be different for custom Ages, I might be wrong though as I haven't done any specific test.
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:30 pm

I have just tested streaming sound with only a .ogg file and I was able to hear it properly.

The static sounds always only need to be in .ogg format.
Paradox

Postby Nadnerb » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Well, since our current sound emitters default to streamingSound rather than staticSound objects, this won't be an issue for the moment. However, IIRC, hoikas just added support for static sounds, so it seems that eventually we will need streamingCache support in ULM. (for simplicity of implementation, perhaps distribute ogg files, and run soundDecompress after installing?)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Trylon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:03 pm

Nad,
both Paradox and I tested Streaming sounds, that only have the .ogg file in the SFX folder.
Quite probably the StreamingCache folder is just that - a cache folder, and there will be no need to distribute sounds to go into it.

Preliminary conclusion:
For both static and streaming sounds, we only need to distribute the .ogg sound file in the SFX folder, something that ULM already supports.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Return to Uru Library Manager