Suggestions for new ULM version

Announcements and discussion regarding Trylon's Uru Library Manager

Suggestions for new ULM version

Postby Trylon » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:29 pm

I'm thinking of doing a major upgrading to ULM.

If you have suggestions, complaints or more, now is the time to voice them :)

One additional question:
If I were to include P2P filesharing, who would be willing to run seeding servers?
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Re: Suggestions for new ULM version

Postby andylegate » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:37 pm

If I knew what a seeding server was, and I had one, I would be most willing.

Some ideas and suggestions (don't know if they can be done or not):

1) A way for a pic to be inserted in the linking book on the Relto shelf.
2) Change book covers for the book?
3) If the database for both the Writers and the Maintainers is static for now, can you put both in? To where a person can just click and it puts it in. Some people might not remember http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Library

4) Snazzy looking skin and disco music playing when you call it up......(Just Kidding! :D )

That's all I can think of for now.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Nadnerb » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:54 pm

1) I'd like to have ULM capable of reading all the files from a single archive, rather than a directory full of them. ;) (ideally, this would work the same way it does now, except it would could be pointed at a single archive rather than a directory)
2) The interface could also use a little work... You can only download an age by selecting it in the left panel, and selecting books in the right panel seems to have no effect on the interface.
3) Allow the archives to be read in a free-form fashion, by checking all subdirectories for the needed files, allowing both the current "all in one directory" method and one that preserves the dat/sfx etc file structure.

:)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Grogyan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:33 pm

I sent you a PM sometime ago, about my suggestions for ULM
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Lontahv » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:03 am

Hmmm, I remember making a topic for suggestions for the ULM here:
http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1125
:P

Mod: Could you merge these threads?

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:48 am

Supporting linking panel images for the Relto books would be fantastic, if you could figure out how to do it.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:11 am

I just happened to suggest that in another thread:
- Adding 'sum file recalculate' option.. (maybe have this on the Age Properties panel? -- BTW the window is named Age Properties, but the right-click menu entry that opens it is named 'Show Book info', that's a minor detail though)
In fact I think there's a lack of infos about 'broken books': why is such book broken? (sum file, lacking files, unknown reasons). I guess that may not always be easy to know, but any info is better than nothing. (coould be displayed as a tooltip or in the status bar at the bottom?)

Other stuff:

- Tooltips over the books icons. ie: 'Not Yet downloaded' 'Private Age' 'Broken book' etc (I know about the Help; but tooltips are cool too :) )
- Changing the whole 'Downloading recent update' freeze on startup. (Maybe have this be a dialog box that you can cancel? For all those moments when you don't want to download Ages but just work on your own stuff)
- Saving the various Library DB urls, and storing them in a drop-list? (For those of us who use both your DB and the Maintainers.)
- Displaying various minimal infos about selected book in the status bar? (maintainer name, 'last modified' date, number of files etc)
- In the Age Properties panel, the 'Files in this version' frame only displays something for Age that have been correctly downloaded. Is that intentionnal? There's nothing for broken ages, personal Ages, or Ages that haven't been downloaded yet.
Aloys

Postby Grogyan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:Supporting linking panel images for the Relto books would be fantastic, if you could figure out how to do it.

I'd go with this one as well.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Chacal » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:39 pm

That would mean importing the image as a texture in the Relto.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:14 pm

You could either add a page (prp) to Relto with the images, or add a global image library. A third option would be that age builders provide a global prp file for their age which contains the linking panel(s).

Hmm, I used to be able to switch PRPs to global with PRPTool. Was that option removed?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Next

Return to Uru Library Manager