ULM age version management question

Announcements and discussion regarding Trylon's Uru Library Manager

ULM age version management question

Postby D'Lanor » Thu May 01, 2008 6:36 am

I have a problem with the registration of my age Prad in ULM.

The age has recently been updated with a few minor changes. It went from version 7.4 to 7.5. So I uploaded the new files to a new folder on the mirror host and went to http://ulm.hbyte.net to change my age info.

I changed the mirror base URL to the new folder on the host and then I updated the md5 base64 checksums. So far so good. One small annoyance though: ULM does not accept minor revisions so I had to leave the version at 7. No problem.

Then I went to my other pc which still had version 7.4 and started ULM. I expected to see the Prad book broken there and the option to "download newest" to become available. Unfortunately that did not happen. The book remained green and the download option was still greyed out. Under "age properties" I could see the new checksums though, which were reported invalid for that Uru CC installation. No download options though. :(

Ok, maybe I should have bumped the version up to 8 then? Let's try. I went back to http://ulm.hbyte.net, changed the version to 8 and... still nothing. Book green, no download options and ULM now says I have version 8 installed. Which is plain wrong. (btw, I have reverted it to 7)

What I had to do eventually to get the latest Prad version from ULM was to completely wipe it from my Uru folders manually. Now that can't be right. :? Can anybody please tell me how to properly manage age versions in the ULM library?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Re: ULM age version management question

Postby andylegate » Thu May 01, 2008 8:12 am

I have to do the same thing with my own Ages. However, other people that don't have that version on their computer should see what you are saying. I just tried it, and sure enough it showed that I could download another version. But my own Ages that I submit do exactly what you are talking about unless I too delete them from my dat folder.

To me it's just an annoyance since all I'm doing is checking to make sure it downloads okay. maybe this will change with a new ULM version?
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby D'Lanor » Thu May 01, 2008 8:22 am

Hmm, I am using a different computer to test this. It is not the one I use to build and upload ages. So how can this happen?

Is there a record in the ULM database that knows my IP address? That would be the only connection between the 2 computers.
D'Lanor

Postby andylegate » Thu May 01, 2008 10:22 am

I don't know if it does or not. I can go take a look.
andylegate

Postby andylegate » Thu May 01, 2008 10:32 am

Are you longing on with the same Username and Pass with the other computer? I believe that is what it goes by.

Anyway, I didn't have a problem downloading myself. I"m going to hunt around on my computer, as I think I have an earlier version of your Age tucked away somewhere. I'll delete what I just downloaded, manually put in the old one, then I'll run the ULM and see what happens. Give me a few, as I have to run and pick up my son from school.
andylegate

Postby boblishman » Thu May 01, 2008 11:46 am

I don't know if this assists you guys...but i downloaded Prad when it was first released ...

I just opened my ULM manager and then clicked "Download Latest" ... and sure enough, it's downloading now ...

(I know that things get strange when it's your own age though ... I remember having problems with Paah'kweh (which I had three versions of uploaded) ... I too had to delete my files from the dat folder before it would download the "latest" version ... :shock:
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Trylon » Thu May 01, 2008 2:58 pm

ULM's "version" is just a sequence number, mostly to ensure each new upload has a unique ID.
Yes, it's integer, and no, you're not supposed to use it in any major/minor versioning scheme. In fact, you're not even supposed to change any "current" version.

Oh, and ulm does not store your IP Address btw.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby D'Lanor » Thu May 01, 2008 5:19 pm

So what is the proper way to get a new version on the ULM? The tutorial only deals with the initial upload. And it also says:

Should there still be things you want to change, you can do so in the ULM web interface

I guess I misunderstood that line. :?
D'Lanor

Postby andylegate » Thu May 01, 2008 7:29 pm

Sorry D'Lanor, meant to get back to you.

I think (and I stress that word) that the way it works is like this:

You upload your age files to your server. Then you run the ULM to get the information set to the ULM database. If this is the first time you've uploaded this Age, it will do so as version 0.
Then, when you make changes, and you uploaded your new files to the server, you need to then run the ULM and send the info that way again (not go to the website and change stuff), and that will make it say Version 1. This will also make it appear to others as a new version has been added, and they'll get the right Icon if they had already downloaded your first version earlier.

I think if you simply go to the ULM website and just edit it that way only, it (the database) doesn't really understand that you've added a new version. I think you have to do it via the ULM.

Now, I could be totally wrong (or you ARE doing it the way I'm talking about). In which case, just ignore me as It's late here, I'm tired, and I think the Stromboli that I made for dinner is giving me heartburn.....uhg........ :P
andylegate

Postby Trylon » Thu May 01, 2008 11:18 pm

Andy is right.

Versioning starts at 1 though, version "0" is used to indicate that there are no known versions of the age yet.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Next

Return to Uru Library Manager