Problem With ULM

Announcements and discussion regarding Trylon's Uru Library Manager

Problem With ULM

Postby GPNMilano » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:14 pm

I recently began some cleanup work on my harddrive. Moving stuff around. I moved all the necessary URU files into another area on my computer to make sure my ages weren't deleted, Uru works fine. ULM on the other hand is giving me pains. Rather risk copying ULM. I made a clean install of URU then ULM. When I start ULM it can't find the LinkingBooks.Txt file. I got no errors when installing ULM. Any help would be appreciated.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Re: Problem With ULM

Postby andylegate » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:11 am

Hmmmm....thought that was an .ini file......

in anycase, that file should be in the root directory of your Uru install. So like:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Uru - Ages Beyond Myst\

is where it is on my hard drive.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby GPNMilano » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:29 pm

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Uru and ULM and it still doesn't show up in any of the folders it should. It says it should be in the ULM folder (which is empty except for an image folder that is also empty).

No matter. I simply copied ULM from my other computer onto this one with all associated files. It works now. But now whenever I start ULM it keeps asking me to point to my Uru folder, as if its starting up for the first time. I've closed and restarted and still it does it. But I can deal with that cumbersomeness of that problem.
GPNMilano

Postby Chacal » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:56 am

Are you running on Vista? You need to do this with an admin account.

Edit:
On XP, using REGEDIT, check that you have a "ULM" key under HKCU/Software.
Here's an export for it, you can edit it and import it in your registry.

Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ULM]
"BaseFolder"="D:\\Games\\Uru - Ages Beyond Myst"
"LibraryUrl"="http://ulm.hbyte.net/library.php"

Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Nalates » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Today I changed the ULM Settings and mistyped the URL.

I got an error message saying ULM could not find my ABM folder. I knew I had probably blown the URL. :oops: Correcting it did not clear the problem. I repicked the ABM install folder. Still no joy. I reinstalled, no joy. There does not appear to be an uninstall in the Windows Control Panel.

I looked at the reg entry Chacal posted. The quote marks were missing from the entry. I added those and it started working again. Now obviously I did not reove those by accident and it previously worked. So, there is a gotcha in the code somewhere.
ImageNalates - Guild of Cartographers
Guild Apprentice: GoW, GoMa - Liaison: GoC to GoMe, GoC to SL (Nalates Urriah)
MO:UL 00 379 343 - Author: Uru Maps Tech Data
Nalates

Postby GPNMilano » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:19 am

Nalates wrote:Today I changed the ULM Settings and mistyped the URL.

I got an error message saying ULM could not find my ABM folder. I knew I had probably blown the URL. :oops: Correcting it did not clear the problem. I repicked the ABM install folder. Still no joy. I reinstalled, no joy. There does not appear to be an uninstall in the Windows Control Panel.

I looked at the reg entry Chacal posted. The quote marks were missing from the entry. I added those and it started working again. Now obviously I did not reove those by accident and it previously worked. So, there is a gotcha in the code somewhere.

You are correct Nalates. There is a problem somewhere in the code. For some reason upon installation, the regedit for ULM has the Library URL as

/ulm.hbyte.net/library.php

rather than

http://ulm.hbyte.net/library.php

This causes ULM to not find the LinkingBooks.txt file that is needed to connect to the server and inform the ULM of just what linking books are there on your computer, and on the server. So the necessary files are never created, and ULM gets errors. Changing the regedit to the correct setting fixes the problem. But there is definately a bug upon install.
GPNMilano

Postby Preachr46 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:01 pm

I migrated to Vista the other day.

In another thread it gives an url for the Vista install instructions involving permissions etc.. That url for the GoMa doesn't work.

I go to the GoMa website and and it doesn't work either. I can't currently register on there either if that would make a difference.
Preachr46

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:42 am

GPNMilano wrote:This causes ULM to not find the LinkingBooks.txt file that is needed to connect to the server and inform the ULM of just what linking books are there on your computer, and on the server. So the necessary files are never created, and ULM gets errors. Changing the regedit to the correct setting fixes the problem. But there is definately a bug upon install.

That explains why I never had a problem when I copied ULM along with my Uru CC installation to a new computer. The new machine could not have had any registry entries for ULM so it must have created them correctly upon first run (at least I do not remember typing in the URL manually). My BaseFolder entry does not exist though, but that does not cause any problems... :|

btw, this computer runs Vista with UAC in silent mode.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Preachr46 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:02 am

This what it shows in the registry in my Vista install;

Default Reg_SZ (value not set)

BaseFolder Reg_SZ C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\CC+M+ULM

LibraryUrl Reg_SZ http://ulm.hbyte.net/library,php

Everything seems OK. But get the access to Linkbooks.txt denied error.
Preachr46

Postby Corvus » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:42 am

There should be a dot between library and php, not a comma.
"To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind."

-Wallace Stevens-
Corvus

Next

Return to Uru Library Manager