Where are all the ages stored?

Announcements and discussion regarding Trylon's Uru Library Manager

Where are all the ages stored?

Postby Quintus » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:11 pm

So, ive always wondered exactly how the ULM works. Where are all these ages stored? If I wanted to host my age off of my website, would it work with ULM? Can anyone give me the nitty gritty details behind this stuff?
The rock is hard, the rock-cutter is patient.
- D'ni proverb
Quintus

Re: Where are all the ages stored?

Postby Chacal » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:30 pm

You upload your Age files to any internet server called a "mirror" (your website is just fine). Then you go register your Age in the ULM database, and you provide the link to the mirror. People will download the files from there.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Nauntilus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:05 pm

We should setup something so that people can add player created ages inside of OSMO. Then it is much easier to open new areas. And all people have to do is download the patch/Age while they play.
Nauntilus

Postby D'Lanor » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:24 pm

*cough* internal patcher *cough* dataserver *cough*
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:09 pm

What D'lanor is trying to say is that Uru already does this. It's just that Cyan didn't use it, as it does this upon link in to an age that needs to be updated. (If I'm correct in what D'lanor is pointing out. I'm not all to familiar with the server stuff) Reason they didn't use it is that to update the client requires downloading at the start up screen, while updating ages can be done in game, upon linking. So for each update in MOUL they just updated everything at the start up screen, resulting in long downloads on big episodes. With OSMO though, I'm under the impression that the other than the client updates, most user run servers will probably defer to the internal patcher for downloading ages. This way if you don't want a specific fan created age, you just don't link there. And if you do, you link there (more than likely through the Nexus)
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:09 am

That is not quite what I meant. I was referring to the native dataserver driven update system which is embedded into MOUL and any previous online Uru version.

In UU we had the choice to update all ages on launch or update each age as you link there. The latter option is what you are referring to as internal (yeah, I should have used the word "native" instead). MOUL did not give us a choice but attempted to download everything at launch.

The update "as you link there" option however still worked in MOUL but more as a backup for when the initial download failed (as it did for me when I installed MOUL on a new Vista laptop).

So in short, we do not need external applications. The native update system works beautifully and since it is (probably) going to be part of the open source project we can adapt it to serve our open source needs. IMO the first thing we need is to have the "update each age as you link there" choice back.

Edit: I have also strong concerns for the integrity of the vault when using outside content installation systems which are not verified against shard content. But I guess that is another discussion.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby ddb174 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:59 pm

ULM basically has people put the files on their own mirror somewhere, then when you have a new version, you list the new files and hashes that are stored in a new location, using the ULM client.

UAM has Old Wolle and I gathering the Ages from various places (ULM, the forums, direct email) and put them on his mirror so folks can avoid the hassle that comes with ULM.

And yeah, as people say, there's no problem downloading fan Ages as you link to them online. You can even override the "update all" thing, to cut down on traffic.
ddb174

Return to Uru Library Manager