Explorer Restoration Center

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Explorer Restoration Center

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:21 am

You know, I really liked that circular door too--the way it framed the world outside seemed very charming. :) I didn't associate the circle with China either, so we're probably free to use it without worrying about cultural associations too much.

What we could do is allow some heavily exotic elements with the building of the ERC and then relax the strength of oriental flavor in the garden elements.

Hmm...which of the garden elements were you thinking of? General style? Lanterns? Bridges?

The other way to do it is with colour choices. The gray-lavender is a great modern colour that is not readily associated with the design elements we are using.

If you mean the color that Vagwen was using, I agree--it fits in very nicely and the closest color association is with Eder Delin. :)

I threw together a model of the railing in Blender so we can take a better look at it; since it was all cubes it was a snap! :D
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:44 am

I think generalizing the lanscaping into something less controlled would work to our benefit maybe.
I think that any bridge designs, lanterns and foot path stones etc could be generalized as well... like an echo.

The other thing to do is to let the bone structure of the ERC to be strong and not really try to emphasize anything and see what happens. Then we could let loose a little with the bridges, lanterns etc.

I know we had talked about not letting the ERC be too exotic... Had we changed our minds about that?
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:42 pm

I think generalizing the lanscaping into something less controlled would work to our benefit maybe.
I think that any bridge designs, lanterns and foot path stones etc could be generalized as well... like an echo.

I'm kinda confused, Ruvinka...What do you mean by generalizing stuff...?

I know we had talked about not letting the ERC be too exotic... Had we changed our minds about that?

I expect not, although I find it difficult to keep myself from making really exotic designs. :P And on this note, I suppose that we should probably just remove the little "wave & spade" design from the top of that doorway cover altogether.
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:10 am

By generalizing design I meant that if the ERC had a more detailed, ornate element that the "echo of that element in a lantern ( for example ) would be the same vague shape but with a lot less detail. In another way if the entryway from the outer wall is a circle the thickness of the wall then maybe the bridges having a steep arc would be a nice generalized echo of that.
Clear as mud?
Hehe... I'll sketch some examples maybe that'll be better
Ruvinka

Postby Jojon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 am

Something like this? :7

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/2917 ... 1d.jpg?v=0

Plenty of varieties of that arch-filled-out-to-a-triangle design along the China grand canal.
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:15 am

By generalizing design I meant that if the ERC had a more detailed, ornate element that the "echo of that element in a lantern ( for example ) would be the same vague shape but with a lot less detail. In another way if the entryway from the outer wall is a circle the thickness of the wall then maybe the bridges having a steep arc would be a nice generalized echo of that.

I like that; the matching shapes and styles would unify the overall garden/ERC composition. :) And Jojon, that bridge you found is magnificent! We must use it somewhere... :D
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:12 am

i used Jojon's image link as inspiration and drew a few bridges.
I'll see if I can scan them in tonight so you all can take a look.
2 of the sketches are of that steep circular design and the thrid sketch is
a take on the design that Jennifer came up with.
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:29 am

Sweet! Can't wait to see 'em... :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:36 pm

For your inspections :)
Be kind about my little man I drew for scale... he was shy and didn't want me to shpw a lot of detail... he was afraid someone would recognize him :D
Show Spoiler

Show Spoiler

Show Spoiler
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:46 am

These will do nicely Ruvinka. :) I was wondering, the two arched bridges, are they flat on the top or curvy the whole way? Clever idea with the chimes too, although it'll be a bear to get working. I especially like the Porch Wall Bridge, and after that the simple moon bridge. The silk banner on the more complicated bridge seemed to be a bit too much complexity for me though? And do you think you could try adding some railings or decorative posts to the moon bridges? :) I think all three of these bridges will be suitable for the ERC gardens.

Be kind about my little man I drew for scale... he was shy and didn't want me to shpw a lot of detail... he was afraid someone would recognize him :D

Hehe; I know what you're talking about. I'm not much for drawing people either. :roll: Your little guy is cute anyway though. ;)
Jennifer_P

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age