Explorer Restoration Center

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Explorer Restoration Center

Postby Dakro » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:12 pm

Heres the finished product. The steps were a pain in the butt because I had to make them gradually shorter and longer to fit the shape... I'll post it on the box site so you can edit it accordingly.
KI Number: 05407095
My modeling work:
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/Dakro_album
Dakro

Postby mar » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:00 pm

Whow, that's looks good I like it very much. Further a lot work I think :P
mar

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:36 am

Oh my...Those lanterns are a big improvement. The additional complexity on top of the bridge really balances out the complexity below it nicely.

Maybe it would be most practical, from the average pedestrian's view, to keep the steps of the stairs more or less at a uniform 0.4 height and fixed depth though, for all that that might require some concessions regarding the hight uniformity/curvature of the railings.

I take it that 0.4 is the height that avatars can step up on something instead of having to jump up? (Because jumping would certainly be a no-no)
Jennifer_P

Postby Jojon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:28 pm

While 0.4 is indeed that height, that particular issue should be easily overcome by simply adding a collision mesh, rather than using the actual stair geometry as floor.

My concern was more that, were I crossing that bridge, with its varying step dimensions, I WOULD trip, sooner or later.. :7
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:01 am

While 0.4 is indeed that height, that particular issue should be easily overcome by simply adding a collision mesh, rather than using the actual stair geometry as floor.

Hmm....Do you know if it would still look like the person was actually stepping on the steps?

My concern was more that, were I crossing that bridge, with its varying step dimensions, I WOULD trip, sooner or later.. :7

That's what I think about high heels too. :lol: Fashionable, but surely a tripping hazard! :D
Jennifer_P

Postby Jojon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:54 am

Jennifer_P wrote:

Hmm....Do you know if it would still look like the person was actually stepping on the steps?

No, (s)he'd be "gliding" up the stairs, but as far as I can see, that's what it looks like anyway - I have yet to see any realistic-looking stair-climbing in Uru and don't expect to, at least not until someone makes a click-the-stairs-to-trigger-a-non-interactive-ascend_stairs-animation thing, or hacks Euphoria into Plasma... :P
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 am

No, (s)he'd be "gliding" up the stairs, but as far as I can see, that's what it looks like anyway - I have yet to see any realistic-looking stair-climbing in Uru and don't expect to, at least not until someone makes a click-the-stairs-to-trigger-a-non-interactive-ascend_stairs-animation thing, or hacks Euphoria into Plasma... :P

Rats, looks like we'll just have to experiment with what will look nicest then. So what is this Euphoria you speak of? I must confess that I've never heard of it before... :geek:
Jennifer_P

Postby Jojon » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:29 am

It is a character... how do you put it?... animation/behaviour/physics engine, that is used in some recent games, where it mostly serves to make characters, who are physically thrown, try to protect themselves from injury, as they fall and get back on their feet, adapting to circumstances, rather than either using a prerecorded animation sequence (like we have), or letting the character "give up" and handing the skeleton over to "ragdoll physics", whose name speaks for itself. :P

I do not know how capable it is beyond this, to my mind, rather limited use, but I figure it should be quite able to make characters bend their backs and stretch their legs properly, while negotiating a hill. :7

Try a youtube search for it, if you want to see it in action (...or you may already have seen it, if you've played the new Grand theft auto title..)
Jojon

Postby ABguy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:25 am

Here is my attempt at a closer look at the roof design. I added a few flourishes as usual. Let me know what can be improved.

Show Spoiler
ABguy

Postby Ruvinka » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:25 pm

You have the general right idea :)

This depiction looks a little like a scorpion's tail though >eek<
Arachnids startle me, so maybe more of a wedge shape for the terminal to the corner tiles of the roof.
Think Samurai helm style but chunkier perhaps?

here are some inspirations:
http://www.japanese-armor.com/japanese-helmets.shtml
Ruvinka

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age