Explorer Restoration Center

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Explorer Restoration Center

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:31 pm

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys; it was one thing or another. :roll:

I guess I kind of liked the scorpion roof...I was thinking about the shapes of the jungle foliage, with pointy leaves and arrow shaped fronds and dead branches, and in that context it seemed like the spike might make the building fit into the landscape more, instead of sitting apart. I could easily see the spike fitting well into this picture...
Show Spoiler

Such spikes are also popular in Thai architecture...
Show Spoiler

And the Japanese had uber-cool helmets!
Last edited by Jennifer_P on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:33 pm

It is a character... how do you put it?... animation/behaviour/physics engine, that is used in some recent games, where it mostly serves to make characters, who are physically thrown, try to protect themselves from injury, as they fall and get back on their feet, adapting to circumstances, rather than either using a prerecorded animation sequence (like we have), or letting the character "give up" and handing the skeleton over to "ragdoll physics", whose name speaks for itself. :P

Actually I saw that in a clip about this new Star Wars game they were making. It was pretty darned realistic-looking too! It's a real breakthrough. I sure felt sorry for the little stormtroopers they were hurling around though... :roll:
Jennifer_P

Postby Jojon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:42 pm

You know... I keep wondering: If the clonetroopers were all derived from badass Jango Fett, just whose clones were the can't-hit-a-barn-door stormtroopers, Jar-Jar's? :P

Hmm, the idea I heard about the flanging asian temple roofs, is that they were supposed to make evil spirits slide off, I wonder then, what the spikes might be for. :P
Jojon

Postby ABguy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:38 am

Okay I have alot of different Ideas you guys can discuss. I tried to make some changes to make stuff look less scary but Im not really sure if it worked out the way I wanted.

Show Spoiler

And... if all else fails we can always use Warrior Kitten.

Show Spoiler

Hehehe... :)
ABguy

Postby Ruvinka » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:02 am

Tee hee hee hee!
I love warrior kitten!

The mask terminal to the roof edge is a great idea...maybe we can dream up an animal that would be unique to the age and use it for the mask shape.

Great work!
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:42 pm

Oh my goodness! :shock: We are giving this Age a name now, the Warrior Kitten Age! :D Cute, cute, cute!
ANYway... :P I really, really, liked the dragon ornament. Were it not for the fact that we had decided earlier not to go with heavy Asian ornamentation, I'd jump for that in a heartbeat! :) But alas...So that leaves the mask. I think Ruvinka's hit on a hot idea there with the animal from the Age being used for design. I wonder if we could use the animal idea together with the flat dragon carving style? I say this because the mask seems to stick out from the roof, standing separate instead of blending in with the whole composition, while the dragon meshed nicely with the design and felt like a part of it. (That was how it felt to me, anyway.) Or, if the mask was smaller or thinner so that it didn't break away from the roof so much, that would too...Hmmm...Okay...

So right now we have two animals, the medusa tree and a lizard variant which I don't have time to find right now since I'm pretty sure it's buried somewhere in this 18 page thread. :roll: I'm going to just have to go through this thread, find all the pictures, and throw them into our box.net account. (Incidentally, I still need to e-mail the login for that to most of you guys.)

You know... I keep wondering: If the clonetroopers were all derived from badass Jango Fett, just whose clones were the can't-hit-a-barn-door stormtroopers, Jar-Jar's? :P

Hehe, that would explain a lot... :D But really, what happened is that they ran out of or short of clone troopers, and they had to go ahead and recruit normal people. :roll:
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am

Okay, I'm uploading the pictures to our box.net account as I write, and I should also have sent everybody on the team the log-in information for that. :) Sorting through all of the threads, it's amazing how much thought has gone into making this Age so far. I just love that; it means that we are committed to making the best game possible. :)

So, it seems that whether we choose to go with the dragon style or the mask style, either way we'll be needing an animal native to the Age...A jungle animal with an interesting head that would be suitable material for the roof ornamentation. If it was interesting enough, we might even consider using the animal as part of the theme for the museum, incorporating it into the building as decorative sculpture, door designs, etc. So, anybody have a creative creature idea?
Jennifer_P

Postby Monkeyboy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:18 pm

A spiky headed creature with an enourmously large tongue, almost butterfly-like
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:32 am

The butterfly tongue is an awesome idea. 8-) Maybe the tongue is almost the equivalent of an elephant's trunk for this animal, and it uses it to forage for fruit in the trees or something. And a spiky head, eh? That will have a lot of visual interest. Got any more ideas in there for the creature, Monkeyboy? Something that ABguy and I would be able to draw from?
Jennifer_P

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:28 pm

Oooo, you were just talking about a piece at the end of a roof. You'll have to give me some time to think of the whole creature! 8-)
Monkeyboy

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age