Explorer Restoration Center

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Explorer Restoration Center

Postby Chacal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:05 pm

Jennifer_P wrote:Which isn't to say that the building can't have a light Japanese influence, just as long as it isn't too dominating. Our building needs a distinctive, strong style even if it isn't completely Japanese, the alternative being a museum that appears bland and nondescript.

I suggest you research the work of modern Japanese architect Tadao Ando, such as his Komyo-Ji temple.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Tinuviel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:35 am

Was thinking about the valley. Should it be visible everywhere you go? Or is it possible to just se the top of the hills on the other side, (from most places at the museum)? And then have one piece of the garden extended outwards exposing the whole of the valley. Perhaps with your pavilion overlooking the valley

Had a rough scetch of how I see it, but could not post it here. But this is how I envision it. I hope you understand what i mean. On top of the hill we have the ERC-building. With a garden terrace outside. Then we have several levels of terraces going downwards connected with stairs. From most of this terraces we only see the biggest hills on the other side of the valley. At the bottom level we finally can stand on the edge of the terrace and look over the whole of the valley. Perhaps sitting down having a cup of coffee in the pavilion. :lol:

(oh now I need coffee.... Running of)
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:14 am

Chacal wrote:
Jennifer_P wrote:Which isn't to say that the building can't have a light Japanese influence, just as long as it isn't too dominating. Our building needs a distinctive, strong style even if it isn't completely Japanese, the alternative being a museum that appears bland and nondescript.

I suggest you research the work of modern Japanese architect Tadao Ando, such as his Komyo-Ji temple.

He does have some neat stuff! He really works water, glass, and concrete really well!

Edit: Here are some more shots of a Tadao Ando building where simple can still be beautiful.

http://www.lichtspeicher.de/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=1445
Monkeyboy

Postby Ruvinka » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:32 am

Thank you for that link Chacal!
I've got a lot of new ideas now for the ERC.
You sure you don't need someone to carry your briefcase around for you on your trip???
:D
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:42 am

I liked his designs of the amphitheatre and the Graubner pavilion, and I like how he puts water right up to the building's edge. I didn't like the look of bare concrete grey or the pillars much though; they felt cold and barren/sterile to me somehow, rather than welcoming and embracing like the amphitheatre or the pavilion. Hard to explain...

Was thinking about the valley. Should it be visible everywhere you go? Or is it possible to just se the top of the hills on the other side, (from most places at the museum)? And then have one piece of the garden extended outwards exposing the whole of the valley. Perhaps with your pavilion overlooking the valley

Hm...good question. I would guess that we should have some parts covered by trees, and others providing varying degrees of good views--my reasoning being that people tend to appreciate beauty more when they don't always get to see it. As for the pavilion, I think you're right that it should overlook the valley; after all, one of the main uses for a pavilion is to look at beautiful scenery from within it. :)

Had a rough scetch of how I see it, but could not post it here. But this is how I envision it. I hope you understand what i mean. On top of the hill we have the ERC-building. With a garden terrace outside. Then we have several levels of terraces going downwards connected with stairs. From most of this terraces we only see the biggest hills on the other side of the valley. At the bottom level we finally can stand on the edge of the terrace and look over the whole of the valley. Perhaps sitting down having a cup of coffee in the pavilion.

For the terraces, we're going to see what develops with the main garden and ERC, and then decide how and if we want them. So while I'm not sure if we're going to develop them in the end, keep your idea in mind for later when we may need it. And lol, the Japanese are supposed to drink tea in their pavilions! I guess this is a Euroamerican pavilion after all... :D
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:10 pm

I came up with 3 more sketches.
I wasn't at home when I did them so they are small (sorry about that) and kind of simple.
The first one is a bird's eye view looking straight down at the roof. The roof is a very simplified version of the hipped roof that is prevelant in Japanese designs. The colour would be very subdued and the curves elongated so that they are not cartoonish. The circle in the center represents the glass sphere that will be the music display room.

Show Spoiler

This next sketch shows on the top a view from the front. There is a semi-free standing wall with a circle cut out of it that you would be able to see the ERC through. The styled roof would be the only thing conecting this wall with the ERC. You can see that I lightly sketched in the glass sphere that would be the music room. As more of an oval it would seems to fit in a little better. The lower sketch is the foot plan. It shows the wall standing freely so that traffic could access the ERC from the side of that free standing wall. The foot plan also shows my idea to put the cone shaped greenhouse in a courtyard in the center of the ERC rather that in front of it.
Show Spoiler

To me this vision is still interesting for the eye, but simple enough that it does not lead the viewer to assume what might be inside the building. Let me know your thoughts on this latest vision.
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:41 am

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, but I'm having trouble arranging the pieces into part of the larger whole. Do you think you could draw a picture of the ERC with these parts attached, plus a human in there for scale somewhere? The circular hole in the wall reminds of the Chinese style: Image
They seem to like putting interestingly-shaped holes in their walls. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Tinuviel » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:25 am

I really like the idea Ruvinka. (and I think you scetch very good. I can't draw a staight line. Perhaps you can draw something for me to model in my Arha Pahts shell ;) )
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby Ruvinka » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Making a better and scaled sketch will be my next task then.
I have to admit that once I got started on this latest vision I started liking it more and more. The cut out circle creates a "frame" and fits right into a museum setting. Maybe we could echo this in the hedges surrounding the statuary outside. I'll try to get you all something more cohesive to look at soon.

Tinuviel thank you for the positive support. I'd love to help you in any way I can. I am really having a blast in this project so far!
I'd also love to hear from Monkeyboy. ;)
after all it was his initial vision and I'd love to know what he feels about the greenhouse being on the inner courtyard. How about it.. what do ya think?
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:55 am

Just tell me what you need, Tinuviel. :D And what is your shell themed for? I recall you had a ring, and the dresser...

The cut out circle creates a "frame" and fits right into a museum setting. Maybe we could echo this in the hedges surrounding the statuary outside.

I am growing fond of that cut-out circle too, Ruvinka. The more I look at it, the nicer it looks...
Jennifer_P

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age