Tribal Masks installation for the ERC

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Tribal Masks installation for the ERC

Postby Atheni33 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:48 am

I have posted a few sketches of these Tribal Masks to display for the Explorer Restoration Center. They were intended for another project but since things have changed a bit I have 'reclaimed' the idea for another use. The story of where the masks came from is still being revamped, maybe some one more talented can help with that. :)

History:
This unknown age has several large moons in close orbit to the planet which causes frequent eclipses. These eclipses have become very important part of the ceremonies for the tribes over the millennia. Several artifacts have been restored from this age among them was a large group of tribal masks used during the ceremonies most anticipated event when all the moons align causing a solar eclipse. On this day (which we think happens every 125 years) an ancestor would wake taking possession of the mask. A priest or priestess wears the mask and looks for visions of the future which they believe they can see through their ancestors eyes. We are not sure how old these masks really are or why they only glow during the eclipse other than I suspect its something to due with the pigment they use only reacts under very specific light conditions of it's white dwarfs sun.

Atheni33

Re: Tribal Masks installation for the ERC

Postby Ruvinka » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:27 am

Wonderful rendition Atheni33!!
I like how some of the masks appear to be symetrical and elegant while others are more random and organic.
It might be nice to have a whole room of different items from that same age.
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:31 pm

Those look very cool; it would be interesting to meet someone wearing one in real life. I think my favorites are top row, third from the left, and second row, far left. :)
I guess you can say that you made the first artpiece to be placed in the museum then, Atheni. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Atheni33 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:48 pm

Be gentle this is official my first render in Blender. :lol: After several days mucking around with different building methods I came across the Bezier draw tool and things picked up quickly. I remember the tool from my Illustrator days. The face of the mask is giving me problems which currently has a ...chocolate covered beatle feel but everthing else went fairly quickly. Next week I'm going to work out a color solution, texture and lighting. I'll probably modify the textures in photoshop CS3 (which I don't know how to do yet) and hope I come up with something that is close to my idea.

Atheni33

Postby Ruvinka » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:34 pm

WOW!
Really Atheni33 there's nothing negative that could possibly be said.
I've seen some really awesome stuff on this forum, but your render of the masks really makes me want to re-think my "I don't have enough free time to learn Blender" excuse!
I know you don't like the chocolate covered beetle feel your render has, but it doesn't stop my imagination in the least. I can't wait to hang those in the ERC.
I can see in my mind's eye thatched textures and pheasant like feathers as well as polished hard woods and metals.
Keep it up Atheni33!
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:57 am

Well well well! Those are very good, Atheni! :) They look even better in 3D than they did on paper, which isn't always the case. You should start thinking about what sort of setting would enhance their beauty the most, and how they would best be arranged for display.
The face of the mask is giving me problems which currently has a ...chocolate covered beetle feel but everthing else went fairly quickly.

Tsk! :lol: Chocolate covered beetles, I don't think so...I can't even see that after you suggested it. :)
Jennifer_P

Return to ERC Age