Japanese Gardens

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Japanese Gardens

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:58 am

I've been researching Japanese gardens to see what we might like to do with ours, and here is some of what I've learned (more to follow later). For the moment, this is a focus more on principles than on elements. It's going to be interesting to see how we adapt the native life of the ERC Age to Japanese traditions. :)
Our type of Japanese garden would probably be a "strolling garden," in which the explorer tours the garden along a preordained path(s). Pleasing garden views are set up to be viewed from the perspective on the path, and they are spaced so as to continually interest the stroller as he passes by. The author I was reading described the experience of enjoying a strolling garden as being the equivalent of listening to music--and when one is not walking, the music is off.
Gardens often utilize natural topography, although manmade hills are acceptable additions. Ponds and streams have curvy, natural shapes instead of appearing artificial and manmade.
One of the many pleasures that might be employed in a garden was the symbolic recreation of beautiful scenery from elsewhere. For example, if we were to try to recreate Relto in a Japanese garden sense, we might put a roughly Relto-shaped rock into the center of a pond, and grow a tiny miniature pine on it, possibly with a little lantern added instead of the hut. Imaginary scenes from poems might also be built.
In contrast to strolling gardens, rock and sand gardens are generally meant to be appreciated from a stationary perspective, usually from within a building.

Here's a good source for some basic information: http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/gardenerscorner/japanese_stroll_garden.htm
Jennifer_P

Re: Japanese Gardens

Postby Chacal » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:40 pm

By the way, I'm going to Kyoto and Osaka in April. Kyoto is THE place for Japanese gardens.
I'll bring my camera. Tell me if you need any special shot.

Too bad I won't have any fancy equipment for recording sound.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Ruvinka » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:56 am

Chacal,
I am SO very jealous!
There are few places I'd rather go than where you are headed.
It will be a joy to see any gardens you visit through your eyes.
Have a safe and happy journey.
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:07 am

Wow, you are a lucky, lucky, man Chacal. This is me, green with envy :arrow: :D
Ah well, I guess I'll be happy if you grab some nice pics while you're there. Do you think you could take pictures of the best views you see from the paths? And, if there's a pavilion, a nice panorama from a standing-inside viewpoint would be great to have. :)
So what brings you Kyoto and Osaka? Business, pleasure, or both...?
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:32 pm

Pleasure is piggy-backing on business.
I'm going there for a meeting of ISO. More specifically, I'm a member of ISO/IEC JTC 1 / SC 27, the subcomittee that writes international standards on information security. I'm co-editor of the future standard on application security.

The meeting is around 10 days (of pure hell), to which I add another 10 days as vacation and rest.
Last edited by Chacal on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:54 am

Well, I suppose every silver lining has a dark cloud... I have to agree that it does sound frightfully boring. But I'm sure that looking back on it, you'll think it was worth it in the end with the 10 days of fun. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:52 am

Oh yes, and see if you can get a picture like this one. Some close-up shots for textures would be nice too, if you have the time. But don't go to any trouble.
Show Spoiler
Jennifer_P

Postby pappou » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:35 am

That was so funny!
Did you hear my belly laugh?
pappou
pappou

Postby Chacal » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:59 am

If you look for me, I'll be this guy.

Show Spoiler
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:15 am

Klaatu barada nikto! Klaatu barada nikto!!! :shock:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_(The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still)
Jennifer_P

Next

Return to ERC Age