Name for the ERC Age?

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Name for the ERC Age?

Postby Ruvinka » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:38 pm

Musea is pretty. It reminds one both of the word museum and also of the Greek spirits of inspiration... the Muses.
Art would come from a myriad of different sources with many styles so Myriada might be pretty also. Neither of those names sound like they would go along with a Japanese strolling garden. Eder Nippon blends both concepts of Age inspired art made by human hands and a Japanese inspired style. Heion is a word I found that in the Romaji-Japanese word set means tranquil or serene.

Musea Heion might be a good way to go. It feels mysterious.
Ruvinka

Postby Jojon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:58 pm

Ruvinka wrote:[color=#408080]Musea is pretty. It reminds one both of the word museum and also of the Greek spirits of inspiration... the Muses

It is the (original) plural of museum actually.
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:23 am

Yeah, that it would be. It's like a how a single "bacterium" goes to multiple "bacteria." Curiously, I can't find "museum" as an entry in my Latin dictionary, although "Musa" and "musaeus" are there. I rather like Musea Heion as a name...
Jennifer_P

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:44 am

I'm must agree Musea Heion is sounding pretty darn sexy... I do like it.
Monkeyboy

Postby Nynaveve » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:17 am

For some reason that's sounding suspiciously close to "nausea". :?

I do like it though.
Guild of Maintainers Webmystress and Grand Master

Nynaveve

Postby Aloys » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:31 am

If my opinion it still worth something here after that last very bad word play, I'd advise against the use of long of complex names. People will forget same or mispell them..
Two part names are especially prone to be destroyed in various ways. People either tend to them and never use the full or either completely forget about the second part of the name.. No one ever calls the Kadish Age by its full name (which would be Kadish Tolesa).. Eder Kemo is always just Kemo.. etc
In this regard Musea is nice because it's short and easy to remember.
Just my two cents..

(I swear if I ever see again another Age that's called EderRiltehinaltahv or Setalgahmarinwhattheheck, I might be tempted to not even install it. :oops: )
Aloys

Postby Nynaveve » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:23 am

Aloys wrote:If my opinion it still worth something here after that last very bad word play, I'd advise against the use of long of complex names. People will forget same or mispell them..
Two part names are especially prone to be destroyed in various ways. People either tend to them and never use the full or either completely forget about the second part of the name.. No one ever calls the Kadish Age by its full name (which would be Kadish Tolesa).. Eder Kemo is always just Kemo.. etc
In this regard Musea is nice because it's short and easy to remember.
Just my two cents..

Just for the record, I tend to refer to most Ages by their full name. This is due mostly in part to the fact that my memory can't handle multiple versions of the name of an Age. My head might just explode. :P The first time I saw Kadish Tolesa referenced as just Kadish, I thought I had missed an Age. (Then again, I also just enjoy pronouncing D'ni in my head...)

However, I know that lots of people do truncate Age names for the sake of shortness and convenience. So I do agree with you here, Aloys, that short is better. I'd probably stick with what you guys have or if you change it, go shorter.

(I swear if I ever see again another Age that's called EderRiltehinaltahv or Setalgahmarinwhattheheck, I might be tempted to not even install it. :oops: )

Can you even pronounce those? :lol: My tongue gets so tied in a knot trying to that I've given up.
Guild of Maintainers Webmystress and Grand Master

Nynaveve

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Heh, heh, perhaps even Ahnotsoidahl? Good point, but, even though we may have two names for an Age it can still be recognized by either name. With the name we at least try to describe what the Age is however so slightly short, though, it also needs a ring to it, look fancy, and have a tinge of artsy-fartsy to it.
Monkeyboy

Postby pappou » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:56 pm

One reason why Jennifer has difficulty finding 'museum' in her Latin dictionary is that it is not a Latin word. In fact, our concept of museum as an 'artifactory' [my invented word] did not exist until much later. Its meaning in the Greek is closer to Ruvinka's thinking, where "mouseion" did indeed direct us to the seat of the muses. More practically, it was an educational building, as Ptolemy used it in Alexandria.

Yeah, i would not go with 'Setalgahmarinwhatthehec' either [koff, koff].

But 'Musea' is a pretty name. And even though Jojon is right: With our Western ears tuned to Latin as they are, it does carry the weight of plural implications -- maybe that is ok?
pappou
pappou

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:03 am

One reason why Jennifer has difficulty finding 'museum' in her Latin dictionary is that it is not a Latin word. In fact, our concept of museum as an 'artifactory' [my invented word] did not exist until much later. Its meaning in the Greek is closer to Ruvinka's thinking, where "mouseion" did indeed direct us to the seat of the muses. More practically, it was an educational building, as Ptolemy used it in Alexandria.

Aha, interesting! Looks like the word has been since "Latinified," much like scientific names such as "bugus bigus." :roll:

Heh, heh, perhaps even Ahnotsoidahl?

Sheesh, tell me about it! We should have named that Age something like "Ah," or something similarly short to type. ;)

And about plain "Musea" or "Musea Heion"--I guess I'm agreeing with Nynaveve and Aloys that we should go with a short name, either "Musea" or "Heion" or something else altogether. The name doesn't even have to have a meaning, actually. For example, "Amateria" just means "Away from matter/timber" in Latin. :P I doubt that they meant spell something in Latin when they named that Age though. Short names are also more memorable...

Here are some random Latin/Greek names I just pulled out of the air quickly:
"Aradea"
"Vidria"
"Salatha"
"Mirilia"
"Wavan"
"Arthena"
"Cherila"
"Synclina"
"Emphana"
etc.
Jennifer_P