Jungle Color for the ERC Age?

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Jungle Color for the ERC Age?

Postby Ruvinka » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:26 am

I think that it does look like the mountain forests of Japan.
It is a beautiful composition Jennifer. It feels very right for what we are trying to do... the mood we are trying to set. We are asking the public to quiet themselves so that they can look with a rested eye on the art that we display there. We are asking them to contemplate, but not to fall asleep. The unusual hue of sky as well as the here and there jolts of reds and oranges are just right. It allows for a relaxed eye to gaze and become interested in just the right ratio.
Thank you for all of your finger cramping work.

The raked stone gardens are just one of many styles of Japanese gardens. They are indeed peaceful and thoughtfully crafted. I can see why the architect is so drawn to them. Myself... I am almost drawn more to the wild jungle that Jennifer has created.
That's the rebel in my I guess :D
Ruvinka

Postby Jojon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:17 am

Ruvinka wrote:[color=#408080]I think that it does look like the mountain forests of Japan

Yep!
No doubt it reminded Jen's coworker of traditional Chinese landcape paintings - many things does look quite a bit like certain brushstrokes that are typical for many of these - especially on the larger shrubs and trees. :7
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:40 pm

You're right, pappou; this is no Japanese garden, it's a jungle. No self respecting Japanese garden would just throw plants around wildly like that. I think Jojon and Ruvinka have it right in that the pic resembles the mountain paintings--weirdly, I hadn't even noticed I was imitating that style. :?

The raked stone gardens are just one of many styles of Japanese gardens. They are indeed peaceful and thoughtfully crafted. I can see why the architect is so drawn to them. Myself... I am almost drawn more to the wild jungle that Jennifer has created.

An interesting note on raked stone gardens is that they are generally meant to be viewed from indoors. And as to whether wild jungle is compatible with a Japanese garden, well, why not? We'll have to hack the ERC out of the jungle with machetes anyway, so why not carve out a garden while we're at it? Fern Gully, eat your your heart out... :D
Jennifer_P

Postby pappou » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Yes, thats true. I'm an indoor guy, where the air conditioning lives and the skeeters don't. Guess i've been in Texas too long. At least, we don't hunt our skeeters with bird shot like you do in Alaska. Pow! Pow!
pappou
pappou

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:23 am

You know, there's a song about that...unfortunately I can only remember these two verses:

"Caught it chewin' on my old wood fence--
killed it in a case of self defense."
:)
Jennifer_P

Postby pappou » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:25 pm

By the way, i ran across this couple looking for a genu-wine Japanese garden on Earth Day; all they had found was the Google Garden. I took this pic:
google garden1.png
google garden1.png (125.21 KiB) Viewed 4867 times

I tried to tell them how to find the ERC, but realized i don't know where it is.
pappou
pappou

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:36 pm

Heh, cute pic. I like how you used the Earth Day Google picture. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Thu May 01, 2008 12:59 am

Back from Japan. I have hundreds of pics of Japanese gardens, including raked stone (including the rake!), pond gardens, temples, textures, etc.
I'll find a place to put them on-line until I have my own server. Meanwhile if you have any particular need, please ask.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Ruvinka » Thu May 01, 2008 6:47 am

OOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooooh!!
:o
Delightful!!
Welcome home Chacal and thank you for thinking of the ERC on your trip.
I hope you had fun whilest you were taking the photos.
I can't wait to see what you captured and integrate it into the ERC

:D
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu May 01, 2008 8:52 am

Chacal, have I told you lately how much I appreciate you? :D

Anyway, the whole of Chacal's adventure is available here if someone missed it: http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1536&start=0
Jennifer_P

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age