Jungle Color for the ERC Age?

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Jungle Color for the ERC Age?

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:53 am

So, regarding the relative merits of having either a green jungle or a red jungle...I asked the DZS (see here: http://www.explorerslodge.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279&start=15) what color they would like, and had two votes for red. Rils also raised a good point about the red jungle--it would be hard on your eyes after staring at it too long. It would probably have to be softened and varied by other colors (oranges, greens, purples, pinks, browns, etc) to some extent in order to make it tolerable for long-term viewing. It might appear more like this:
Show Spoiler
Green, on the other hand, would need no such adjustment--it is a proven beautiful color, and there are 1,000,000 images that say it is gorgeous!
So what would you guys like exploring, viewing, and studying best, a green jungle or a red jungle?

Since we only had one piece of red jungle concept art, I figured I would try to track down some photographs of actual red jungles/forests to help us make a better decision. Most of these pictures looked pretty yucky to me, actually--the trees are generally monocolored in infrared light and the sky color doesn't compliment their colors very well. But, better than nothing.
Show Spoiler

These ones reminded me the most of the red jungle concept art for the Age, with the green sky and darker green water:
Show Spoiler
Jennifer_P

Re: Jungle Color for the ERC Age?

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:52 am

Ok, you asked, I will share. Green. I didn't like any of those pics, and I think green is just the way to go, red just seems so bright and in your face, but green is nice and mellow and, as the DZS mentioned, easier on the eyes.
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:19 am

Yup, certainly nothing wrong with good ol' green! :D :D :D I didn't care too much for the pictures either; the red in them was way too strong, and undiluted by any color variations (plus the colors of stuff besides the leaves was often ickified by the infrared light).
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:10 am

I must be weird... I kina like the red. Agreed it would be better with oranges and yellows and pale greens mixed in and a differently coloured sky than the blue. Blue contrasts the red too strongly, maybe a pale reddish violet.
I said before I am not opposed to green, I think that exploring other colours is a good thing though.
Ruvinka

Postby Chacal » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Does it have to be all in the same colour? Your typical jungle has thousands of plant species. It would not be a huge stretch to imagine plant species of a different colour, whith different pigments making use of different wavelenghts for energy.

A few blue or red species among green ones would make it visually interesting.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Ruvinka » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:36 pm

Spoken like a true international negociator ;)
How about we have a nice patchwork of different hues mingled in with an off hue of green.
We are used to seeing your normal everday crayola green in the game on the trees. What if we used a very pale
GREEN and sprinkled in some true reds, brick reds, tangerine oranges, pale yellows. I've suggested before the hardwoods be a purple hue. I think there is an existing hardwood called purple heart and it's really lovely. I think it would compliment and contrast a lot of colours we like. One colour would be boring even if it were neon yellow. Lets all pick a colour we'd like to see and we can sprinkle them into the jungle that has a base of an interesting green.[/color]
Ruvinka

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:43 pm

Ruvinka wrote:Spoken like a true international negociator ;)
How about we have a nice patchwork of different hues mingled in with an off hue of green.
We are used to seeing your normal everday crayola green in the game on the trees. What if we used a very pale
GREEN and sprinkled in some true reds, brick reds, tangerine oranges, pale yellows. I've suggested before the hardwoods be a purple hue. I think there is an existing hardwood called purple heart and it's really lovely. I think it would compliment and contrast a lot of colours we like. One colour would be boring even if it were neon yellow. Lets all pick a colour we'd like to see and we can sprinkle them into the jungle that has a base of an interesting green.[/color]

I like that idea, Ruvinka! Maybe we can mix some different colors in with the different colors of Green.
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:17 am

I think that people will think it's the autumn season if we use a lot of oranges and yellows--do we want that? And how much red or green would look best?
I guess the only way to find out is to see, so I'm going to draw up some concept art with all of our new ideas about the valley added in, and check out how it looks and get some feeback. :) I'll also do one from the perspective of standing in the jungle itself. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Monkeyboy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Be sure to add in a river in that valley too.
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm

You betcha I will! :)
Jennifer_P

Next

Return to ERC Age