Jungle Color for the ERC Age?

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Jungle Color for the ERC Age?

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:41 pm

You know, the world turned me off at first glance, but as I looked at it, it became more and more appealing. (And my sister just said, "Wow, that is a beautiful picture" upon catching a glimpse of the image.) I like the green; it matches the purple very well, sort of in a peacock kind of way. It's almost a sort of dream landscape... And the little hints of yellow were nice, although I think some more color on the trunks and branches of the tree would look nice. And I see there are tigers--that's the best part! :D
Jennifer_P

Postby Lade'e » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:56 am

Shhh .. don't tell, I just "borrowed" the image from a google search on "jungle" and overlaid some color filters on it. Wish I could lay claim to the image, but can't. Just wanted to share my vision of a purple jungle. ;)

I'm pretty fond of the turquoise contrast of the water and sky against the purples and lavenders. What can I say. I'm warped. (I always wonder what a world would look like if it didn't have a yellow sun and our atmosphere ... the colors *have* to be different, I'm sure!)
Lade'e

Postby ametist » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:53 am

Still a very nice view, Lade'e :) I have a vague notion in my head from ancient biology studies, that the hemogloubine and the chlorophyll are just alike 'built', just one molecule differs and that's the one that gives the colour. Copper(I guess here) for hemogloubine and xxx(can't even guess here ;) ) for chlorophyll. So I guess that's part of an answer to Carl Sagan's often asked question: 'WHY is it that the sky is blue and the grass is green' .
ametist

Postby Monkeyboy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:55 pm

Was watching a Nova show the other night, they were talking about life and the big bang, etc. Anyway, at the beginning right after the "bang" there was nothing but hydrogen. And from that stars were born. And from stars the rest of the elements of this universe was made. It just seems strange that we are what we are because of stars and hydrogen. But seeing that while creating Ages, they can be in any Universe, what would life be like if the beginning of matter of a different Universe was something other than Hydrogen, what would we have?
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:28 am

I'm pretty fond of the turquoise contrast of the water and sky against the purples and lavenders. What can I say. I'm warped. (I always wonder what a world would look like if it didn't have a yellow sun and our atmosphere ... the colors *have* to be different, I'm sure!)

I'm a big fan of worlds with odd color combinations too; all things being equal, I'd rather explore a world colored like Mars than a world with normal brown rocks and a blue sky. And then you've got worlds like Teledahn and Amateria that go all out with the weird colors--those are my favorites. Yet Riven is also one of my favorites, and that was a really realistic world. Huh, I guess I like both kinds. :)

But seeing that while creating Ages, they can be in any Universe, what would life be like if the beginning of matter of a different Universe was something other than Hydrogen, what would we have?

*blink* The person who figured that out would get a Nobel prize, I'm sure. :)

I have a vague notion in my head from ancient biology studies, that the hemogloubine and the chlorophyll are just alike 'built', just one molecule differs and that's the one that gives the colour. Copper(I guess here) for hemogloubine and xxx(can't even guess here ) for chlorophyll.

I don't know myself; all I know is that on the original Star Trek, Spock's Vulcan blood was copper-based rather than iron-based and that was the reason it was green rather than red. And also the reason why the cloud creature wasn't able to suck him dry. But this could all be pseudoscience. :roll:
Jennifer_P

Postby Jojon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:43 am

Monkeyboy wrote:But seeing that while creating Ages, they can be in any Universe, what would life be like if the beginning of matter of a different Universe was something other than Hydrogen, what would we have?

The reason they say hydrogen, is that it is the simplest atom (unless you count positronium) - one proton and one electron, made in the explosion, out of whatever sludge of stuff the original singularity consisted. Then you get this condensing into suns, which through their immense gravity fuse pairs of hydrogen atoms into helium; 1,1+1,1=2,2. Other reactions take place between these elements and so on -- ever more complex structures formed from simple building blocks, give or take a handful of neutrons.

So to be something other that hydrogen, it would have to be not just another of our known elements, but another class of high level matter altogether, in which case we'd have to consider how visiting would affect us and the age, given physical interaction and just how far we'd want to go in fabulating our new pseusdo-physics -- do we have any nuclear physicist among us, to root out the worst bits of nonsense we might come up with and do we *want* her/him to? :7

Quarky stuff, this. :P

PS. Yes, Iron: red, Copper: green. Just look at the colour these metals get when they oxidise (rusts/gets a coat of verdigris)
Jojon

Postby Naigahsehn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:46 am

Monkeyboy wrote:
Ruvinka wrote:Spoken like a true international negociator ;)
How about we have a nice patchwork of different hues mingled in with an off hue of green.
We are used to seeing your normal everday crayola green in the game on the trees. What if we used a very pale
GREEN and sprinkled in some true reds, brick reds, tangerine oranges, pale yellows. I've suggested before the hardwoods be a purple hue. I think there is an existing hardwood called purple heart and it's really lovely. I think it would compliment and contrast a lot of colours we like. One colour would be boring even if it were neon yellow. Lets all pick a colour we'd like to see and we can sprinkle them into the jungle that has a base of an interesting green.[/color]

I like that idea, Ruvinka! Maybe we can mix some different colors in with the different colors of Green.

I really like that idea, too: multi-colored forest. Not quite like Yinfara - because then it'd be almost like copying, y'know? But, like, maybe one plant is this color, the other that color, etc. So it's very colourful.
Either that, or something less hard on the eyes - maybe blue or violet? Yellow, even - but that'd look too dry.
~Naigahsehn
Naigahsehn

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:31 am

Yeah, I've been thinking...in the panorama I've been working on, the sky is green and the forest's color spectrum varies like this: red/orange with a bit of green/blue :arrow: half red/orange, half green/blue to :arrow: green/blue with a bit of red/orange. And I was thinking that just green/blue would probably look better than green/blue with a bit of red/orange. And then Lade'e's color scheme is so dreamy... I also think you're right in that blue or violet wouldn't be as hard on your eyes as red would be; even undiluted, those color schemes would probably be fine. Yellow would probably be too vivid for me though--it would have to be balanced with another color to make it enjoyable to view. :) Tell you what, I'll do a bit of Photoshopping on the panorama I've been working on and I'll try out a bunch of different color schemes including blue and violet, so we can see if there are any looks we like. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:55 am

The panorama still isn't done, but I wanted to let you guys know that it's actively being worked on. /shrug So here's the latest. http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3989/ercvalleyrdgrgy9.jpg
You know one of my coworkers actually said (without knowing its purpose) that it reminded him of a Japanese garden? I think that's a good sign.
Jennifer_P

Postby pappou » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:18 pm

Japanese garden? Hmm.

Maybe post-MacArthur Japanese see this way? I think in traditional style: Not so much.

The bottom of your panorama is too much a catalog of plants to offer the Japanese vision of garden. And the sky (which to my mind is the most engaging part in your work – except perhaps for the nice red half-tree on the left) is just too energetic to fit into the traditional style of Japanese gardens.

But then, in saying that i am confessing my susceptibility to Mondrianish simplicity. The Zen gravel gardens at Kyoto probably way too much fill my eye with their Miesian credo: Less is more. Still, the Japanese tradition of carefully placing a few chosen morsels into the composition – only hesitatingly, after great concentration and prayer – is so powerful, isn't it? It would suggest that to be Japanese, you must at least have a special empty spot, one which is to be filled by the vision of the viewer.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/pappou/ZengravelgardenKyoto.png

Maybe its 'faux japanese'? In any case, the very careful composition of the garden must be its outstanding virtue, more so than its inventory of plants.
pappou
pappou

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age