Transitions in the ERC

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Transitions in the ERC

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:25 am

Okay, so imagine that you're walking up the spiral stairs enjoying the scenery and the glass cone (?). You approach a door off to the side and go in--and suddenly you are in a Negilahn ambienced room gazing at Negilahn themed art. You finish browsing, and then head out into the museum again, the Negilahn ambience immediately disappearing as you exit the room. You head to the next doorway and suddenly you are in a Payiferen themed room with sanscrit pictures. You exit that room and are immediately returned to the museum ambience again. The next room you enter has a Dereno theme. (And I'm just using the pods as a convenient example, not to copy Cyan's museum strategy.)

Well, my mild concern with this approach would be that the ambience switches would seem to be rather quick, and might not give the player much time to adjust their mood between rooms. So what if we use some sort of "transition hallway" between the museum staircase and the individual rooms? Perhaps if the transition hallway was pitch black with an appropriately themed lit door at the end, and we started a gentle matching themed "hallway" ambience that gave way to the main room's stronger ambience when the player entered the room proper...? Or would there be a better way to reduce the shock of jumping in and out of ambience zones?
Jennifer_P

Re: Transitions in the ERC

Postby Ruvinka » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Just off the top of my head... Art museums do that by placing relevant, yet more generalized, items outside the themed galleries. Maybe that would be a good solution for us too.
Ruvinka

Re: Transitions in the ERC

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:18 am

That could work as well; I'm wondering, though, if it's alright to show that many textures in one scene. Does anybody happen to know if showing a screen with like 100 different textures in it would be lagtastic, or...?
Jennifer_P

Return to ERC Age