Medusa tree

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Medusa tree

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:39 am

Based on ametist's medusa tree drawings, I drew a more detailed tree picture...how's it look, ametist? Need any fixing? :)

Psssst--BAD, I wonder if you could do me a favor and move the medusa tree posts from the "Jungle Color for the ERC Age" over here? Much obliged... :)
Jennifer_P

Re: Medusa tree

Postby pappou » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:31 pm

Nice drawing; good shadows.
Your Medusa looks like a wet climate critter. Does it prefer the swamps? Or maybe the Olympic Peninsula, when it is not vacationing in Southern Louisiana?
pappou
pappou

Postby Monkeyboy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:07 pm

That's really cool
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:40 am

Hm, y'know, I don't know what environment the medusa tree likes. That would be a question for ametist. Glad you guys liked it. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby ametist » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:43 am

'Yeay!! Looking just right to me! I can even hear that rather quiet rustling sound from it's 'foot' while making it's way through the forest. And the sweet aroma - I can see the bugs swarming around it :)
Have you 'identified' some of the bugs yet or shall we try to 'capture' some and identify them?' (crossposted on explorerslodge.org/forum)

Actually it is very adjustable, this tree. If there is a 'good' stone to get grip on with its 'foot', it can thrive in different environments. It must 'stand' steady while hunting.
ametist

Postby Atheni33 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:51 am

Excellent drawing you really captured the characteristics of this tree. I particularly think the shadows on the trunk from the branches is well done. The tree feels so real.
Atheni33

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:03 am

Actually it is very adjustable, this tree. If there is a 'good' stone to get grip on with its 'foot', it can thrive in different environments. It must 'stand' steady while hunting.

Hm, yes...it does make sense that the tree would need a stable platform to cling to when drawing its branches up and in.

Have you 'identified' some of the bugs yet or shall we try to 'capture' some and identify them?

Nope, we need to go collect some! :geek:

Excellent drawing you really captured the characteristics of this tree. I particularly think the shadows on the trunk from the branches is well done. The tree feels so real.

Hey, thanks. :) This was like the third time I had tried to make the little bugger, so I'm glad it came out alright. The little tree was surprisingly stubborn!

Well, all we need to do now is model it. (Which means that me and Tinuviel will sit across the table and stare at each other until one of us gets up and does it. :P:lol:)
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:17 am

Well, here's the skin texture for the medusa's body:
I used a base of rendered Photoshop clouds, then added a leather texture from a boot (it was all I could find), then applied the watercolor filter to a duplicate of the layer with the clouds, and finally added blurred stained glass. Lastly, I lightly colored the skin with pink, orange, and various shades of purple to reflect the different colors that ABguy used in his medusa picture here:
Show Spoiler

So ABguy, how did you get that nice squiggly-lined look on the skin on your medusa tree picture? Is is a Photoshop effect, or what? I looked all over trying to find a filter that would give me a more uneven look than the stained glass filter, but no luck...
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:06 pm

Alright Shevek, try this texture on for size. :)
By Jennifer_P
Jennifer_P

Postby ABguy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:38 pm

Hey looks great Jen! Keep up the great work.
ABguy

Next

Return to ERC Age