ERC Terrain

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: ERC Terrain

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:55 am

Lookin' good... :) I'll see if I can't get some trees and paths and stuff added in over it for tonight; I've been in these boring meetings lately and I've been able to get a lot of doodling accomplished. And since I've got some free time tonight, I'm going to also post the designs for the railings and the door coverings which I've been working on. :)

I decided to have some fun and use red instead of green for the grass, but that was because I was in a silly mood at the time. Again I am sorry I got so far behind with this.

Heh, don't worry about it. I get so far behind on stuff sometimes that it's not even funny! :roll:
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:43 pm

And on that note, sorry for the delay! I know I need to get this posted, but I just keep getting occupied with other stuff. I even finished a derivative of your map showing paths, rocks, and vegetation, Ruvinka...and that still needs to be photographed too... :roll:
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:20 am

Well, this is gonna need some fixin' because I didn't have Ruvinka's picture for reference, I was going by memory. /shrug
The D'nglish at the top just reads "erc map." :D

A. Medusa tree
B. Inaccessible areas?
C. Tornado cone
D. ERC
E. Island
Jennifer_P

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:49 am

Say, are either of you (Jennifer_P or Ruvinka) good at making height maps? If so, you can turn one for the ERC age into geometry pretty easily - just look at the following tutorial below:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D ... heightmaps

I did this on Robyn Miller's height map for Catherine's Prison island from Riven, and it worked very well! Just make sure your grid has at least the same resolution as the height map image, e.g. a 256x256 pixel image on a 256x256 square grid.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Ruvinka » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:50 pm

I'd say I was rather bad at it... Jennifer's depicts what was in my head a lot better.
Thanks for sharring that link Bob It's so nice to find tools to make things go smoother.
Jennifer (knowing blender much better than I do) will probably get a lot of use out of it.

I really like your map Jennifer!
It's really easyto get a feel for how things will feel walking around in it.
I like particularly the bridge idea over the rivers. We could maybe do a few and employ a few different designs.
I am not sure about the placement of the Tornado Cone, I thought it could be further south in your map. I am not sure we want so much of the garden to be inaccessable. Was there a spot you wanted to put the pavillion? Did we want to put it on the island? I'd like it there only because being surrounded by water and away from the ERC gives it the space to have its own character.
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:43 pm

Hm...I think I actually prefer to model landscapes myself more, Robert, although I appreciate the tip. :) Maybe Tinuviel would find it helpful. I like to get into the landforms and geology of the place, which is easier for me to do by hand than by creating a topographic map. Ruvinka's height map is a good general description of the elevations in the Age, but it still lacks some of the detail that I would want to add.

I really like your map Jennifer!
It's really easyto get a feel for how things will feel walking around in it.
I like particularly the bridge idea over the rivers. We could maybe do a few and employ a few different designs.

Oh, fun. :) You any good at bridge design?
I am not sure about the placement of the Tornado Cone, I thought it could be further south in your map.

Sure, you can go ahead and edit the map as you please. :) I just stuck the Tornado Cone in anywhere.

I am not sure we want so much of the garden to be inaccessable.

Yeah, probably not. I was just thinking that would save us modeling time. /shrug

Was there a spot you wanted to put the pavillion? Did we want to put it on the island? I'd like it there only because being surrounded by water and away from the ERC gives it the space to have its own character.

I didn't put the pavilion in yet because it wasn't on this phase's "To-Do" list. :) I figured I'd work on it later...Unless you want to?
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:06 am

I am as good at bridge design as anything else I've tried for the first time I guess :D
I'll give it a shot and see where it takes us.

I think we should go ahead and place the Pavillion only because I don't want it to look like we just crammed it in somewhere after other things were placed.
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:42 am

Go ahead and add the pavilion to the Phase 1 list of stuff that we're including then. :) It should be in the "Release schedule for the ERC Age" thread.
Jennifer_P

Previous

Return to ERC Age