List of Ambient Noise Sources

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

List of Ambient Noise Sources

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri May 23, 2008 11:23 am

A list of sounds to be used in the ERC Age:

1. Collared Laughingthrush call: http://www.soundsnap.com/node/3188
Description: Bird call from Vietnam with ambient jungle background.
Source: Soundsnap
Ambience for: Outdoors, in the garden
Jennifer_P

Re: List of Ambient Noise Sources

Postby mar » Sat May 24, 2008 1:51 am

I like that sound it is a real jungle sound. Maybe you cant make it a little bit longer with other jungle sounds.

A suggestion is the sound of cycaden. The times I was trekking in the jungle of Sulawesi ( Indonesia) there was always noice there, in jungle there is no silents. Eearly in the morning about 5 o'clock the birds begins like your sound and later on there is the hole day the sound of the cycaden with sometimes birds or the calling of apes.
mar

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat May 24, 2008 10:38 am

A suggestion is the sound of cycaden. The times I was trekking in the jungle of Sulawesi ( Indonesia) there was always noice there, in jungle there is no silents. Eearly in the morning about 5 o'clock the birds begins like your sound and later on there is the hole day the sound of the cycaden with sometimes birds or the calling of apes.

I'll check it out, mar--and thanks for the tip on the fact that there is no silence in the jungle. I'd been wondering about how far we should intersperse the creature noises. There were lots of good cicada and grasshopper noises on Soundsnap, so I'll have to get some links to those. Tell me, some of the ambiences I've been listening to make it sound like there are always birds calling in the background--did you find that to be your experience?
Jennifer_P

Postby mar » Mon May 26, 2008 7:05 am

Jennifer, I can only tell something about Asiatic forest because I have no experience in Africa or sud America.There is not always sounds of birds.

My experience is early in the morning more birds, morning till late afternoon there is always the noice of cycaden with some screams of apes and some birds who are singing or screaming. At the evening the noice is going more to the background.

I very special cycade is a cycade with the noice of a compass saw.

Futher before I was been in the jungle I thought that there were always very much trees . But I have experienced that in the middle of the jungle self there where not so many plants/trees only at the bounderies and at the top of the trees there are many plants. The only reason of that is that there is much light, in the middle it is relative dark.

What also typical for jungle is, is the flowering out the stem of the three and because of that all so fruits out off the stem.
Hopely you have something at my observations.
mar

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:45 am

I think these are good observations, mar; we're going to have to make a design/style document here soon and I'll incorporate what you've said into it.
Hm, and now that you mention the different sounds at the different times of day...I suppose we need to decide what time the Age will the placed in.

So it looks like we have our work cut out for us. :geek:
Sounds to find:
*Cycads or other insect noises (sawing?) -- constant
*4-5 more species of birds -- rare :arrow: frequent
*7-8 animal calls -- random
Jennifer_P

Postby Grogyan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:49 am

I'll be using an audio clip of a Tui singing (native New Zealand bird) in my shell.

http://grogyan.googlepages.com/119Tui.zip
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby mar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:16 am

Hey Jennifer P. ;)

I have sounds from the jungle with cicaden, birds, the compass saw cicade etc.The only problem is that I have it on cassette tape. I have downloaded a program for converting tape to computer.
If you are interested I can give it a try for making the sounds digital and send them to you.
Can I help you with that :?: :?:
mar

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 am

They could be helpful mar... :) I need to know though, are the sounds copyrighted by you or by somebody else?
I also wouldn't want you to go to a lot of hassle if it would be a bunch of work to convert those cassettes to digital, since there are jungle soundtracks available online too: http://www.soundsnap.com/search/audio/jungle/score But yeah, if it's not copyrighted by some other guy and it wouldn't be a lot of trouble for you to make the soundtracks, I'd like to hear them. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby mar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:31 pm

No it is no trouble at all. I convert the sounds to digital. There is no copywrite over, because I have made the tapes by myself in Indonesia.
When I have them I PM you.
mar

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:29 am

Okay then, that would be great. :) So do you know about how many hours you have recorded?
Jennifer_P

Return to ERC Age