Courtyard Wall

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Courtyard Wall

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:05 pm

I did a bit of work on the courtyard...it's still far from finished, of course. ;) The texture needs to be made seamless and the color is a bit off. Which do you guys like better, the rear, more purply wall or the front more greyish wall? I was also going to clean up the texture to remove the orange staining and the dark brown rectangles and dark grey spots. And of course it needs to be made seamless. :P The blue cylinder represents the avatar.

Jennifer_P

Re: Courtyard Wall

Postby Ruvinka » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:30 am

Hiya!
I snuck in a moment while on vacation to peek at what's new.
I'd vote for the back wall. If we are going for something that looks like it was made from local materials then I think that having a more unexpected stone colour would be the better choice. I also like the wall heigth. Any taller and I fear it will overshadow the ERC and all that wil be visibale is a big stone square.
Great Job as usual Jen!
Ruvinka

Postby Monkeyboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:12 pm

I think I'll stick my nose in on this one. I'm only here for a bit until a go back to dig, but, how about neither? Any other colors we can play with?

Edit: Thinking more on the construction materials. What are the resources the ERC can use anyway? Or What are the geologic processes that formed our little area? Perhaps its on a large limestone deposit, where in its past was a vast ocean and all the dead organisms, eventually turned to rock from heat and pressure. If that's the case then the rocks being use to created the ERC may be stacked in thin layers, color, though could be nearly anything I would presume. Anyway, my 2 cents.
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:28 am

Well, got to make this quick...
So, Monkeyboy--sure, we can try any color of the rainbow. What did you have in mind?

So I was going to add a decoration along the top of the wall, and an inner edge to the door. And I agree with you about the size of the wall, Ruvinka; I don't want the wall to dominate the the building either. I'm thinking that it might be wrapped too tightly around the sides of the building right now. Well, it'll be easy enough to make it wider.

Monkeyboy, we can really do just about any type of geology we please; I think that white quartz boulders might look nice, or black-grey basalts. Have any suggestions for rock types, Ruvinka? The rocks in the big red-->green valley picture I did were metamorphic rocks with strong layering in them. Now Monkeyboy, from a realistic standpoint, limestone might be a problem since this area has a lot of rain (being a jungle); the limestone would get dissolved and then sinkholes would be created into which a building could collapse. I suppose, however, that as long as we don't build the ERC on a sinkhole, we would be alright. ;) :P Limestone does make a great building material. In addition it can be almost every normal shade of rock coloration too (reddish, brownish, greyish, blackish.)
Jennifer_P

Postby Monkeyboy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:55 am

Obviously we can have any type of Geology. Just thought if we knew the makeup of our area then we could get an idea of what kind of materials were out there. We could if, needed to, bring in materials as well, though it wouldn't be very cost effective ;) I was only thinking limestone as an example as it is a very easy material to work with. Out in the digs, they used large river cobbles for foundations, as well as, trekked miles for large blocks of basalt for foundational purposes, too. But, anyway, just a thought, might keep the Age on a more realistic "foundation." ;)

PS Just hope I'm not making too big of a deal. I am pretty hungry and tired so just let me know.
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:34 pm

Well, I'm fine with limestone if you are. :) Check out this site about different building with limestone: http://www.limestone.com/products/limestone/stones.html

So then, what color of limestone do we want?

We could if, needed to, bring in materials as well, though it wouldn't be very cost effective. ;)

That's for sure...Imagine linking everything in block by block. :shock: I'd say we're going to have to go with indigenous material as much as we can.

Out in the digs, they used large river cobbles for foundations, as well as, trekked miles for large blocks of basalt for foundational purposes, too.

Cool--river cobbles. How big were these blocks?

But, anyway, just a thought, might keep the Age on a more realistic "foundation." ;)

/groan
:P

I am pretty hungry and tired so just let me know.

Poor thing; you must be working hard.
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:49 pm

I take it by the sample of limestone in the link Jennifer gave that Limestone is pourous and able to be dyed to a desireable hue. If that is indeed the case ( or at least the case in the ERC ages limestone like materials) then I don't see why we can't dye our wall the colours we want. Have we decided on any colours the facade of the ERC will have? I put a tentative colour pallete in the sketch I made of the Shoganate style. We could choose a colour or mix of colours that compliment or contrasts. I like the idea of soft understated tone so that the building, jungle, garden and of course artwork really shine.
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:45 pm

Well, it's more like that limestone is different colors naturally. :) And so we can choose to have our limestone be any color that we want.

Have we decided on any colours the facade of the ERC will have?

No, although I recalled that we both liked Vagwen's grey-purple color. That was what I was using for the wall, in fact.

I put a tentative colour pallete in the sketch I made of the Shoganate style. We could choose a colour or mix of colours that compliment or contrasts.

I liked that color scheme; and of course, it's a very simple matter to change colors around. :)

I like the idea of soft understated tone so that the building, jungle, garden and of course artwork really shine.

Hm...I guess I'm not quite understanding what you mean by soft and understated?
Jennifer_P

Return to ERC Age