Stone Lantern Design Needed

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Stone Lantern Design Needed

Postby Chacal » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:13 pm

I have lots of pictures of Japanese gardens and stone lanterns like this. I know I promised to post them but I never got time. Is there still a need?
island at Kinkakuji temple Show Spoiler
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:24 am

They would be helpful as resource pictures, Chacal, but we could also get plenty of good pictures from just what's already posted on the web, so no need to go to any trouble if you're short on time. :)

On the original concept and your draft model: to merge the things; maybe you could use the pyramid part as a growbench and leave the tornado sticking out of the centre of its own tiny forest?

Any thoughts on this idea, ABguy? :)
Jennifer_P

Postby ABguy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:51 pm

I think that thats a good idea. I realize that there is some confusion over the properties of the tornado cone building. I want to keep closer to original intent of the originator within the building. I believe that it was supposed to be more of a greenhouse enviroment. This is important because the visual information a person would view in the age should represent that idea or reenforce it.

Using a small repersentation of a much larger building would be cool, but I feel that it should have a larger purpose. Such as pointing out what the structure would be used for or giving the user something to orient themselves with.

Those would be ideas to better orient our concepts with, I would think.
ABguy

Postby Ruvinka » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:27 am

What about if we made a lamp that looked like the tornado cone and inside was planted an alien looking plant whose roots were glowy? I'll sketch up what I mean when I get home, but I am thinking something that's like the Olympic torch only made of glass and with a plant growing out of it instead of fire.

what do you think?
Ruvinka

Postby Ruvinka » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Hmm now that I've drawn it I see that it doesn't quite fit the description as "stone lantern"
Maybe we can use this idea or something that grows from this idea elsewhere in the age.
Here's what I dreampt up.

Show Spoiler
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:04 am

I think that that's a good idea. I realize that there is some confusion over the properties of the tornado cone building. I want to keep closer to original intent of the originator within the building. I believe that it was supposed to be more of a greenhouse enviroment. This is important because the visual information a person would view in the age should represent that idea or reenforce it.

I agree; and we often see this design principle apply in the Myst games, where something smaller teaches the player about something larger. So alright then, we'll go with Jojon's idea of the planter with plants growing and the cone poking out from among them. Think you could redraw the lantern with that, ABguy? :)

Ruvinka, I'm liking your idea. :) Actually though, I was wondering, "Why does the plant luminesce?" I mean, there must be a reason for it, other than "just because it looks cool." So here's what I was thinking...You know how moths are attracted to light? Maybe your plant is carnivorous, and it lights up in order to lure bugs to their doom! It also fits in nicely with the medusa tree, I think. :) How's that sound to you?
Well, the only other thing I would say about it is that while I like the design of the tornado, I think the lamp post might be improved by making it look more organic. Right now, it could easily fit into an urban environment, being composed mainly of controlled, simple, straight lines and metal. I think if the lines were more curved or more elaborate detail was added to the general shape, the lantern would enhance the theme of "jungle" more. I guess what I'm saying is, if it isn't supposed to be Japanese-themed, might as well make it fit into the jungle theme. ;)
To try to show what I'm talking about, I found these two pictures. The first is of a lantern in a city; the straight lines of the lantern complement the lines of the buildings surrounding it:
http://www.wickfordart.org/images/2004/SandraKunzLauraJohnstonPatDeMartini04/LauraJohnston_lamppost_cphoto.jpg
Here's a lantern in a park; as you can see, it sticks out from its environment as a foreign object. And there's nothing wrong with that--I just didn't think it was the effect we were looking for in the jungly areas? If, however, the lanterns were placed around the ERC, the lanterns would probably fit in fine the way they are, since the ERC stands out from its environment.
http://carboncopy.hobix.com/archives/lamppost.jpg

Hmm now that I've drawn it I see that it doesn't quite fit the description as "stone lantern"
Maybe we can use this idea or something that grows from this idea elsewhere in the age.

I don't see why not; they could certainly be used as decorative elements in some area of the Age. Thinking it over, I think it would be best suited for a rather dim, heavily overgrown area, so that the glow would stand out more. By the way, have you thought about mounting the cone as a hanging basket rather than on a lamp post? Baskets might look nice dangling down from tree limbs. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:24 am

Ruvinka, I'm liking your idea. Actually though, I was wondering, "Why does the plant luminesce?" I mean, there must be a reason for it, other than "just because it looks cool." So here's what I was thinking...You know how moths are attracted to light? Maybe your plant is carnivorous, and it lights up in order to lure bugs to their doom! It also fits in nicely with the medusa tree, I think. How's that sound to you?
THat sounds really good. I admit I didn't give the plant much thought beyond "I want this to look strange and I want this to glow" I like carniverous plants, their appearance is always so versitile and sometimes unexpected. I like that the plant is like an orchid in that its root (bulb) prefers to grow mostly above ground to get good air flow and more oxygen. The Bulb glows to attract insects to the general area of the plant and the nodes (that were labeled as seed pods) open like a clam shell. Inside that shell is a small glowing pad that the insect cant help but land on (maybe it also has an odor to attract prey to the perfect spot). The pad is the trigger and BAM!

Should I draw that out? If it turns out to be a neat little plant maybe we could use it where it would be visible to explorers. Some of them could have trapped prey (non glowing nodes that twitch)

Well, the only other thing I would say about it is that while I like the design of the tornado, I think the lamp post might be improved by making it look more organic. Right now, it could easily fit into an urban environment, being composed mainly of controlled, simple, straight lines and metal. I think if the lines were more curved or more elaborate detail was added to the general shape, the lantern would enhance the theme of "jungle" more. I guess what I'm saying is, if it isn't supposed to be Japanese-themed, might as well make it fit into the jungle theme.
Funny you say that... I wanted to try to draw it as a hanging basket or pendant. I was trying to go fast and couldn't figure out the perspective so took the short cut and drew a post. Hehe you caught me being lazy lol! I was also thinking that on top of being nice in a dark overgrown area of the garden, they might also be really special in any low lit area of the museum. Maybe the music exhibit.

I'll sketch some more over the next few days. As always thanks so SO much for the constructive thoughts!
Ruvinka

Postby Jojon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:11 am

Now here... This carnivorous plant theme that is crystallising, is beginning to worry me... Just how big does some of these things get? ;)
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:07 am

hehehe...Hehahahehoohoo...BwaHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! :D
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:35 am

Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

PreviousNext