Stone Lantern Design Needed

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Stone Lantern Design Needed

Postby teedyo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:02 pm

One of those cases of: "Don't ask if you really want to sleep tonight".
teedyo

Postby Jojon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:18 am

Hey! It's Audreyvinka_P.
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:38 pm

Don't look now guys, but I think we've been insulted. :P
Jennifer_P

Postby J'Kla » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:17 pm

So these original ones like you show in the spoiler are really Bonsai temples. :D
J'Kla

Postby Ruvinka » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:23 pm

Hey! It's Audreyvinka_P.

Raaawr!
Ya didn't know I was part of the Flora-Mob did ya??

:D
Ruvinka

Postby ABguy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:58 pm

ABguy

Postby Shevek » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:37 am

I really like the designs coming along with the plant/tornado theme involved - they work very well and will add to the merging of masonry and nature that I feel is prevalent in this age. When you began to talk of stone lanterns, however, I was worried that we were about to make another Amateria.
What with the oriental influence, Amateria was also linked with the number "6" - numeracy tends to be a central linking point in certain ages (five for riven, three for J'nanin...) But I'm going to keep an eye on this project - just shout if you need me to do anything. :)
Shevek

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:57 am

OooOOOoooo...Nice effect with the glow--the glass actually looks translucent and illuminated from the inside. :) So ABguy, did you use the stained glass filter to make those polygonal patterns behind the glass? I noticed it because I was just following this tutorial on making leaf textures in Photoshop (for the medusa tree fronds) http://www.yourphotoshopguide.com/tutorials/leaf-texture/ and the results were sort of similar. :geek: Well, your color choices look good to me and I think the "lamp" will be an excellent addition to the Age. But that plant has gotta be changed to something more alien-looking--we have a houseplant that appears to be that plant's twin brother or something. :lol:

When you began to talk of stone lanterns, however, I was worried that we were about to make another Amateria.

Think of it this way; Eder Delin and Eder Tsogahl both used the same garden elements, but both had entirely different feels. :) In the end, I think the ERC Age's ambience and atmosphere will so different from Amateria's that nobody entering the Age will think, "Hey, this is just like that other oriental Age!"

What with the oriental influence, Amateria was also linked with the number "6" - numeracy tends to be a central linking point in certain ages (five for riven, three for J'nanin...)

Interesting, isn't it? It's fun to find hidden little consistencies within an Age...
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:32 am

That was really pretty ABGuy! And the sconce shape is just how I envisioned it, specially the translucent property of the glass. I haven't scanned in my sketch of the plant I thought up yet, but I'll do that soon. Hey can I ask what program you use to make these illustrations? I really like the look of them and seem to get across the idea so much easier than my dimestore coloured pencils :)
Ruvinka

Postby ABguy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:41 pm

My program of choice is Adobe Photoshop. Its just the best way to draw and layer stuff quickly. A tablet is also a good buy if your interested in creating images for digitial media. Anything by Wacom is pretty good.

The method by which you attain that effect is by using a tool called the photo stamp. What you can do is select it then create a new layer as an Overlay then using the tool you can apply a pattern or photo stamp onto the image. Giving it the effect of broken glass or a tree a effect of stretchy bark. Very neat tool been using it only for a little while.

Smudge is another great tool. You can filter the way you smudge, using dry brush and get great feathered effects. Or use other features for other cool effects. Photoshop is an industry standard so, its good for anyone interested in this type of thing to get compfy with it.
ABguy

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age