Creatures of the ERC Age

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Creatures of the ERC Age

Postby ABguy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:04 pm

I just wanted to start up a thread for everyone who are looking for creature pictures or ideas. I am going to post some of my interpretations of creatures here.

Show Spoiler

Above is my idea for the lizard that might exsist in the ERC jungle. We could use a the head for the corner of the roof for the main building.

Show Spoiler

This is what my idea for the medusa tree might look like. Its bascially the same as what the others have drawn out just with a few more shaders and a texture applied.
ABguy

Re: Creatures of the ERC Age

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:37 pm

I loooove that medusa tree! Man, it looks so soft and squishy with that baggy skin, like a snail or something--it's really lifelike. Those feathery are gorgeous too, so gorgeous that I would abandon the current leaf design right now in favor of the feathery look if only it weren't for the outline-around-the-thin-leaf problem. That's a good texture for the body of the medusa tree too; I think I'll make it into a texture.

Your lizard design is also very good; the way you applied the color makes it look slightly luminous, as though the lizard were being seen in the light shining through a leaf. The head is a keeper for me; I especially like the big round lizard eye and the parrot beak. I'm guessing that the finny things are used for defense against predators. Now, there is one thing that bothers me; the scale of the lizard. The leg that is showing is characteristic of an elephant or rhinoscerous--thick, pillar like, and flattened on the bottom. This is an evolutionary feature of large, heavy animals. So is our lizard a komodo dragon?? :shock:
Jennifer_P

Postby ABguy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:11 pm

Now, there is one thing that bothers me; the scale of the lizard. The leg that is showing is characteristic of an elephant or rhinoscerous--thick, pillar like, and flattened on the bottom. This is an evolutionary feature of large, heavy animals. So is our lizard a komodo dragon??
Jennifer P

Well I didn't really think of a scale believe it or not.. IT could be whatever you want it to be :) I really liked everyones medusa tree concept, it was such a great shape and it has so much character. I couldn't help myself with adding a few things to it. Kudos to whomever came up with the design for that tree.

Now Im wondering if there are any other creatures for the age that are needed? Any fish in the streams or anything?
ABguy

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Yes, definitely fish for the pond; you know how fond the Japanese are of their koi, and we'll need a native fish for our pond too. :) And if you can keep the same shape for the fish's body, it would be fairly easy to give it multiple different color schemes simply by photoshopping the skin of the model.

Isn't this a cool picture?
http://www.floridafishfarms.com/Koi_Fingerlings.jpg

Various fish pond pictures:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_BwGpu0gWbZU/RtsTTwCSDRI/AAAAAAAAACg/f4KSVCeQuLY/PICT0040.JPG
http://www.gardenfishpond.co.uk/images/japanese_garden_and_koi.jpg
http://www.photopassjapan.com/gardens/image106.html
http://www.fantasticfihpond.com/Fish_Pond3.jpg
Jennifer_P

Postby ABguy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Here is an idea I just quickly sketched out for ya.

Show Spoiler
ABguy

Postby mar » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:38 am

Whow ABguy I love all the wildlife you drawn. It is amazing ;)
mar

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:42 am

Very nice; and an interesting perspective you chose too. Tell me, does the fish actually glow pink like that? And I see that the fish has a cat-like diamond pupil rather than a circular fish pupil--very cool, I would never have thought of that!

I really liked everyones medusa tree concept, it was such a great shape and it has so much character. I couldn't help myself with adding a few things to it. Kudos to whomever came up with the design for that tree.

That was ametist's work; and I agree, it was a cool idea. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:58 pm

ABguy, do you think you could draw that fish from side and top view so that we can get it ready to be modeled?
Jennifer_P

Postby Lanen » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:56 pm

These sketches are delightful to look at! I love the concepts and the looks. The colors are just right as well!
Lanen

Postby Shevek » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:28 pm

Hey guys

I really love the bio-luminescence idea that's going on here. I think it would work really well.
Anyway, I could try to model the fish from the sketch we have there, but it would be best to have a little bit more of a layout for it. If not, I'll make it up as I got along and see how that turns out, okay?

Shevek
Shevek

Next

Return to ERC Age