Creatures of the ERC Age

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Creatures of the ERC Age

Postby Shevek » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Urgh..Shorah and good morning all!

Okay, I tried my hand at the medusa tree - took the texture the Jenn made up for us, and speed-modelled it - texture downloaded at 3:45. Model finished at 4:00 Uploaded...now....

It'll need a hell of a lot of work, but it's something for now.

[Insomnia, both a gift and a curse!]
Shevek

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:08 am

[Insomnia, both a gift and a curse!]

A fellow Monk fan, I take it? ;)

Well, I'm pretty impressed that you whipped that out in just fifteen minutes. And it looks great, too. How many vertices is it? I'm especially impressed with how you created the feathery look for the leaves with just a simple alpha texture--that's a clever idea. :) The model's leaves look very organic and lifelike, positioned like that. /thumbsup 8-)
However, looking at my texture along with the color of the leaves, I see that it looks too greyish--it needs more saturation and a stronger, warmer purple. I'll have to see if I can get that fixed up here in the next few days... :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Szark » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:06 pm

Your impressed Jen, so am I. Amazing results and just shows what can be done when one knows how. Shevek keep up the good work, loving it so far. :D
Szark
Szark

Postby Shevek » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Hey Jenn and co;

Okay, I'll make up a low-poly version (with a bit more detail texture wise) in a bit - if you decide on the color scheme. SOrry, I just copied the texture you used right off the bat. I could alter the luminosity, or give it a slight glow if you like. The feathering technique was actually an easy cheat, no alpha texture needed - a gradient (solid to transparent) put at an angle and then copied about twenty time, to give it a saw-like edge, but softened to make it feathery...just stand in stuff for now, really...until we get proper things sorted out around it.

Oh yes, does it move? Apart from the wind blowing through it and all.
And lastly, what size is it? Human? is it tiny? Or huge, like a real willow tree?
Once I know I can put Catherine (my scale dummy) next to it to show it.

Shevek
Shevek

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:54 pm

Okay, I'll make up a low-poly version (with a bit more detail texture wise) in a bit - if you decide on the color scheme. SOrry, I just copied the texture you used right off the bat. I could alter the luminosity, or give it a slight glow if you like.

Oh no, you were right to use the texture just as it was. I was just saying that I needed to do some work on it in Photoshop to make it fit in better with the leaves, that's all. You were fine. :geek:

Oh yes, does it move? Apart from the wind blowing through it and all.
And lastly, what size is it? Human? is it tiny? Or huge, like a real willow tree?

Good questions; you can read all about the medusa tree here: http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=2219
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:53 am

That model is SICK!!!

I mean that in the omgz wow >eyes buggin out< kinda way!
Awesome really awesome! the fronds look so soft on the edges, a glow would look so neat!
Hmm maybe the plant that sits in the garden lights and the medusa tree are related... >thinking<

keep it up! Looks WOW!!
Ruvinka

Postby ABguy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:50 pm

Got this drawing done a while ago, forgot to post it. This is a bit more detailed than my previous fish picture.

Show Spoiler

Hope this helps the modelers out there.
ABguy

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:37 pm

I like how the eyes are on the top of the head. :) A good job on the coloration as well--I can see these fish wending their way through the twisted lagoon crawler roots now...
So, now we need a model and a skin for the fish. I have zero experience at skinning though, so I don't know how we're going to do that yet. I do have some pictures that I collected of dead salmon in order to use for texturing. Some of the fish were fresh enough that they would be good source material for living fish; unfortunately the mean and nasty seagulls peck the eyes out of any fish unlucky enough to be stranded on the land. I have larger versions of both these pictures.
Dead fish pics:
Show Spoiler
Jennifer_P

Postby ABguy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:53 pm

Show Spoiler

Muahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
ABguy

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:52 pm

WHAT SORT OF A TWISTED PERSON COULD CONCEIVE OF A BUNNY-FISH-FROG?!? :shock: :shock: :shock:
The sad part is, it's actually sort of cute, in a horrible kind of way...It must in the beady eyes and the floppy ears and front paws. Let me give you some friendly advice, ABguy... Don't create a mutant army of bunny-fish-frogs and try to take over the world. :D It's just not cool.
Jennifer_P

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age