Would that be a Brog?
A Frunny?
A Hobbit? (hop+ribbit)

>giggle<
i love him... i named him Alphonse.
Ruvinka

Re: Creatures of the ERC Age

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 am

The tree chinchilla and the little bright red beetle which suns itself on the rocks along the shore of the pond:
Show Spoiler

When threatened, it releases a noxious smell and disappears into its shell-like carapace.

The tree chinchilla...
Show Spoiler

Various color tests on the grey chinchilla, as well as illustrative poses.
Show Spoiler

Lower Right: A tree chinchilla holds a sprig of berries in its tail while it eats.
Lower Left: A tree chinchilla clings to a root as it fishes with its antennae. Unsuspecting of the dange, one of ABguy's ugly fish prepares to strike.
Center Bottom: Tree chinchillas are excellent swimmers.
Upper Left: A tree chinchilla holds a minnow in its paws and a berry with its tail.
Jennifer_P

Postby Raider7 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:05 pm

You have done well with the drawings Jennifer. The Aminals are cute.
Raider7

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks! :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:35 am

Here is the sandpiper, Lanen. :)
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp119/Jen_P/ERCSandpiper.jpg
As you can see, he's kind of a troodon sandpiper. Basically, this guy was once a flying bird. It had stubby fingers on its wings that it used for foraging, and eventually foraging (digging, scratching, catching, holding) became the main usage of the wing, rather than flying. The wings filled a more and more arm-like role but as a result became less and less suitable for flying. Finally the sandpiper lost its ability to fly altogether, and thereafter it began rapidly changing its now-useless wings into true arms that it held in front of its body. At the same time, the melded bones of the wing began to split out into individual fingers. Furthermore, to balance the extra weight of having its arms out front instead of tucked to the sides, its tail lengthened and grew heavier. The sandpiper is still not ideally suited to its new life as its arms have yet to fully develop, but it seems to be doing quite well for itself in the meantime.
The tall head crest was used as a resonance chamber for creating loud noises, as they were probably used for in the hadrosaurs. The crest also increased the sandpiper's height, allowing it to look slightly more intimidating to predators.

So, do you think this guy nested somewhere around the swamp...? :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Jennifer_P wrote:Finally the sandpiper lost its ability to fly altogether, and thereafter it began rapidly changing its now-useless wings into true arms that it held in front of its body. At the same time, the melded bones of the wing began to split out into individual fingers. Furthermore, to balance the extra weight of having its arms out front instead of tucked to the sides, its tail lengthened and grew heavier.

So it is devolving back to a dinosaur? :o
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jennifer_P » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Yep--just like a miniature Terror Bird! :o Hide, they'll get you! (And don't ever go down or it's all over...)

A recently discovered species, Kelenken guillermoi from Middle Miocene some 15 million years ago, discovered in Patagonia in 2006 represents the largest bird skull yet found. The fossil has been described as being a 28-inch (71 cm), nearly intact skull. The beak is roughly 18 inches (460 mm) long and curves in a hook shape that resembles an eagle's beak. It is thought that this new species would easily be able to swallow dog-sized prey. Most species described as Phorusrhacidae birds were smaller, 2 to 3 feet (0.6 - 0.9m) tall, but the new fossil belongs to a bird that probably stood about 10 feet (3.0 m) tall (3 m). Although scientists cannot be sure, they predict that the large terror birds were extremely nimble and quick runners able to reach speeds of 30 mph (48 km/h).[5]

Phorusrhacids are colloquially known as "terror birds", because their larger species were apex predators and the most fearsome carnivores of their habitat (before, during and after the arrival of saber-toothed cats 2.5 Ma ago). Their wings had evolved into meathook-like structures that likely could be stretched out like arms to perform a hacking motion which theoretically would help in bringing down prey. Most of the smaller and some of the larger species are believed to have been fast runners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorusrhacidae
Jennifer_P

Postby ABguy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:46 pm

Here are a few new ideas and some other stuff that I thought I'd put up here.

The first is a image of one of those Chinchilla. Its just a great character I thought I would try my hand at one.
Show Spoiler

The next image is a attempt at a "terrorbird". I realize that its probably not something that will appear in the age but its just fun to play with these ideas mentioned in the forum.
Show Spoiler

My last image is of a Monkey like creature that could inhabit the age. Just an idea of something more playful within the area that might play jokes or throw things at the explorers as they go by. Perhaps they would reset completed puzzles or cause other puzzles to be more difficult to complete.
Show Spoiler

Anyway I hope everyone enjoys some new eye candy.
ABguy

Postby Grogyan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:12 pm

That first one reminds me of a Squee that has been tormented for too long with people dropping baskets on it

All in all they are very good
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:40 pm

The tree chinchilla...I don't know, but it seems like it didn't come out as well as the other two. It doesn't really look rodent like, you know? The arms and legs are too distinct from the rest of the body.

But very good job on the terror bird. It's got horns on its beak--that's a new one on me! I like it how it's exploding out at you and only the head is in focus--it makes it look really dynamic and ferocious (even if it is only two feet tall! :D ).

The monkey is good as well; the coloration fits in with the Age very well, and that dash of yellow makes him stick out. He actually looks a little scary to me.
I'd like to see its whole body sometime. And puzzle resetting--hm, that is a good idea...
Jennifer_P

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age