Creatures of the ERC Age

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Creatures of the ERC Age

Postby Lanen » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Sorry I have been gone so long! I LOVE the creatures! They all look wonderful and I cant wait to see them finished. Its so fun seeing things that I thought of come to life.
Lanen

Postby ABguy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:55 am

Thank you... After many requests I've decided to upload another creature for your viewing pleasure.

Bewarned what you may see might distrub you.
I feel I must give you one more warning... What you may see might challenge your concepts of reality shattering it into a million little pieces. When that happens there is no hope for sanity.
Show Spoiler
ABguy

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:36 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
The madness! The maaaadneeessss!!! NOOOOOO!
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:14 pm

man_frog.jpg
man_frog.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 6913 times
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby ABguy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:46 pm

Chacal that is the perfect response. :)

As the amount of people with ideas have increased, Im thinking it might be a better position to refine the ideas. By refining ideas I basically mean preparing concepts to be modeled and intergrated into the age.

SO... to start with I would say the Chinchilla concept that Jennifer created cannot be improved on. I would say that the next step would be to do the following. Create a image of one Chinchilla with a top view as if you were looking at the object from above, one image from below, one from the side front and back. This allows the creature to be modeled more accurately to the original artists design.

Creating so many images of the same subject can be boring and tedious, but it does help the modelers out alot because it gives them an idea of the subjects volume. Now Im sure alot of folks already know all about this but its really important to at least mention it. Because its the real work envolved with concept work. Not just pretty pictures but pictures that can visually communicate the idea to another effectively.

A great example would be the Tornado Cone that I had produced as a result of anothers idea for a greenhouse. Now while visually stunning; how does the Tornado Cone actually work and go together? Well from the pictures it is not visually clear and it presents a design problem for anyone who attempts to model the structure. The actual design doesn't completely work for what the intent of the structure originally was. Its my fault that the work wasn't well defined enough that a modeler could make use of it and make it true to the original intent of its creator.

My bad... But now we can go back and start to correctly move the work in a forward direction. Now all modelers have a certain degree of artistic license and by no means to I intend to take that away. However if the original idea is distorted to conform anothers vision then that vision is distorted by an modeling artist the end product may be completely different than the original intent. This could cause serious problems when componets of an age don't match up or work together coheasively. Two seperate structures that seem like they don't work together, putting Hagia Sophia next to the outhouse as a example.

Jennifer and others have done a splendid job of monitoring this. But I feel its more important that the work reflect the intent. If anyone has any questions or needs help making their work more communicative let me know. You can send me a PM through the forums or when I get my other Email up and running you can get ahold of me there. I won't critize your work, only try to teach you methods of making your work more visable.
ABguy

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:16 am

I totally agree with you, ABguy; I think I'll start making diagrammatic pictures of the animals I've done so far so that they'll be at the stage where they can be modeled, starting with the tree chincilla (do you like the name "chala" for that?). That is indeed the real work involved in being a concept artist. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Lanen » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:19 pm

I think Chala is a great name for our little tree dwelling friends
Lanen

Postby Grogyan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:56 pm

I second Chala, its a good name for it
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:00 am

"But wait, there's more!"

Actually, there really is--I found my old list of nice-sounding names. I hate to break up a good consensus, but do you guys like any of these better?

Sufet
Antela
Squirp
Jennifer_P

Postby Lanen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:03 pm

I still like chala better
Lanen

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age