Creatures of the ERC Age

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: Creatures of the ERC Age

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:28 pm

You're right! Looks like I'm the one who needs a memory check. :P
Hey, so I was thinking--maybe this guy lives underwater like a hippo in the lagoon crawler swamp. And the player has to solve some kind of puzzle to get him to come up so that they can look at him and cross him off their creature checklist. Got any ideas for that up your sleeve? :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:49 am

Heh, well let me read what the creature checklist is about and where this "swamp" is and I'll get back to you... unless you happen to have a link? :D
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:31 pm

Lemme get back to you tomorrow--I've got some homework I reeeaaally need to get done tonight.
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:40 am

Okay, here we go. :) Linkies!
The creature checklist is related to the species hunt minigame here:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=2241&start=0
(Hm, looks like we need to update that list.)

The swamp and associated island is located in lake F on the map:
http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=2104

And finally, the description of the swamp can be found here:
http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=2309&start=0
Jennifer_P

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:55 am

Just an idea on the lizard from above, well first, if he's too polygonally complex, will we even be able to use him? Next instead of hippo size let's think a little smaller, this creature could actually use his tongue just like a butterfly to drink sap from flowers or the trees themselves, or they can stab other lizards or bugs (beetles) and drink their innards
With their short proboscis (tongue) the adults of Harvester butterflies can actually pierce the bodies of woolly aphids and drink their fluids--this would be the only bugs that adult butterflies eat.

So, perhaps these creatures live on the trees in the swamp close to insects and flowers, perhaps a puzzle would be able to open a flower blossom that the lizard would run into, or kick a beetle into a blossom or something and the lizard runs over and sucks it's innards. :?:
Monkeyboy

Postby Jojon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:22 pm

Hmm, interesting symbiosis prospect half-buried there... One plant or other doesn't do the whole nectar/fruit thing, but instead traps bugs, not for itself, but for the pollen-distributing lizards to eat.
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:31 am

Just an idea on the lizard from above, well first, if he's too polygonally complex, will we even be able to use him?

He's not really too complex; it's just that I modeled in high poly instead of low poly for this particular incarnation. So no worries there. :)

I really like the idea of having the lizard be a bug eater in the flowers--that's a new one on me. :) Alright then, how about if we make the lizard like 3/4 of a foot long? We need a body design for it too...all we have now is the head! :D

So then, how do we get the flower to open? Perhaps by making a "large bug buzzing" sound nearby (I'm almost thinking one of those Riven rolling eyes that made various noises when you spun them, but something natural instead)?
Jennifer_P

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:29 am

I was thinking something simpler, perhaps as the blossom is closed, one just simply touches it in the right place and it opens, a bug may or may not already be inside, if there is then the lizard runs out and into the blossom and attacks. We could have a few flowers wrapped around a tree like a vine and the bug would randomly be in one of them. Maybe I can do a quick sketch today....
Monkeyboy

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:07 pm

I like it, yet it seems like there should be a layer of added complexity here if it's to be a puzzle--perhaps if there was something else that had to be done before the blossoms would open when touched? Or something that has to be done to allow the lizard to reach the blossoms? What if there was some kind of moving plant that needs to be aligned correctly so that it makes a bridge so that the lizard can travel across it to get to the bugs? Maybe like this:

1. Player touches flowers (let's assume there's a bug inside), they open
2. Lizard noises are heard nearby.
3. Player does something with the bridge plant, causing it to extend in the direction of the lizard.
4. The lizard shoots out, crosses the bridge plant and devours the bug, then sits there and stares at the player for awhile before darting off.
Jennifer_P

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:41 am

Sounds good to me, don't know if we can do this but, when the flower opens and there is a bug in there, can that bug be in there randomly? Just to add a little more to the puzzle, if there isn't a bug the lizard wouldn't come running, if there was then, of course, it would.

And I made a couple sketches of the flower, just trying to get a design down, not sure if I like it or not, I'll try to get it posted later if I have time. Its Xmas vacation and its been kinda busy on the home front.
Monkeyboy

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age