Modeler needed for "Stair To The Moon" bridge fixes

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Modeler needed for "Stair To The Moon" bridge fixes

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Last July, Dakro created a fantastic model of the "Stair To The Moon" bridge for this project. (Click here to see his post.)

This model was uploaded to the box.net account here:

http://www.box.net/shared/gacdaftlil

The model is very rich in detail and looks fantastic! However, there's a few things that need to be done to it before it can ever be exported and functional in URU:
  • Reduce the polygon count. Currently the bridge weighs in at over 34,000 polygons, which is 150% times the number of polys in the terrain itself. Some things to simplify would be to replace lots of the curved cut-out shapes in the lamps with alpha textures of that design, for example.
  • Group objects of like materials together. The bridge consists of nearly 300 different objects, making it difficult to position in the age.
  • Create Blender texture records. All of the textures applied to the objects were done directly, i.e. without creating a Blender Texture in the Materials panel. This prevents the textures from exporting.
  • Creating collider geometry. Instead of turning every visible polygon into a collision polygon, create a simplified version that allows the avatar to climb the stairs smoothly, and put up walls to keep the avatar from falling off.

If there's anyone out there willing to take this on, please reply to this post; I'll send you the box.net account user name and password. I'd really like to see this wonderful creation in the age, but I'm fully tasked at the moment.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Re: Modeler needed for "Stair To The Moon" bridge fixes

Postby Jojon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:06 am

If nobody else has responded by the time (if) I get a few other things out of the way, I may have a look. :7
Jojon

Re: Modeler needed for "Stair To The Moon" bridge fixes

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:12 am

Thanks for offering, Jojon! In case things work out for you, I sent you a PM with the box.net account username and password.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Return to ERC Age